Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Brake Pads Worn After 41K

Just started getting the "squeak" from the rear wheels - the pads are shot - 41K miles.

Front pads must have another 30-40K left in them.

These are the original pads on my 2001 Forester.

Unusual for the rears to wear first??, and so much faster than the fronts?? I've never seen that before.

I assume there is a proportioning valve of some sort, front to rear, but not sure how that works, expecially in an ABS setup. Is it adjustable?

All help and comments are appreciated.

Thanks in adavance.

Depends on your driving, but that is weird since the fronts do most of the braking. I'l check for a hung caliper or something. If you do the brakes yourself, be sure to lubricate the caliper bolts/pins (where the caliper slides) with Silaglyde or other silicone brake lubricant, making sure they are clean and free of the old lube before you put the new lube on. If you are having a shop do it, they should check all that for you...

I agree, this is abnormal.

I changed my pads at 45000 miles (2000 legacy) and they still had several grands life left in both front and rear. My wear is higher than usual becouse of mostly city driving and some towing.

True, front pads work harder ("do most of the braking" as said above) but they are bigger and the net wear is similar (at least in my car).

You either have binding in the rear, or brake force adjustment mechanism malfunctions. Probably the first, becouse you would notice braking anomalies by now. Is your acceleration poor, rear wheels hotter than front?

Could this explain the FWD fuse results you reported?