Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bled the lines, slave valve seems ok, CLUTCH STILL ENGAGING :(

Hey everyone. 
I posted a while ago about my car suddenly losing clutch control and not being able to shift gears. Someone suggested I needed to bleed my clutch lines. I just got back from doing this with my father in law, we removed the slave valve, compressed it with a clamp and successfully managed to bleed/milk the line and get new clutch fluid (DOT3) into the lines etc.
However, I still have no ability to put the car in gear. The clutch will depress, but the gear stick simply will not move and 'slot' into gear. 
I'm not a mechanic by any means and have no idea what to do. The slave cylinder doesn't appear to be broken (we took out the pin and its still intact), there a little 'flap' that the slave cylinder pushes, it seems as though it just needs to be 'pushed' more for the gears to engage, but I'm not sure how to fix that. 
Any help would be most appreciated!

Attached is a photo of the slave, pushing against the flappy thing (techy term) , does it look alright?

post-63229-0-61128800-1465337817_thumb.jpg

The "flappy thing" is the release lever for the clutch.

Its fairly common for the release lever to crack at its pivot point inside the transmission bellhousing.

It doesn't look like the release lever is situated properly in the pic, I would guess that it's broken inside.

Unbolt and place the slave cylinder off to the side, Pull the rubber dust boot up and off of the lever, then bolt the slave cylinder back in place. Look inside the bellhousing with a light while someone pushes the clutch pedal and you may be able to see where the lever is cracked.

Hmm, ah maybe do not step on the clutch pedal when the slave cylinder is unbolted...  release fork won't move if the slave isn't pushing it and the slave will pop apart. Instead remove the dust boot and move the release fork by hand. I think fairtax is correct about a broken release fork. If so it will require removal of the engine or trans. 

Edited by montana tom