Ultimate Subaru Message Board

when did Subaru start using timing chains on 2.5 and cvt trans

I'm looking at some newer years of outback wagons, time to ditch my 2003.  I'm looking the the 2009 2011 range.  When did Subaru start using timing chains instead of belts on the 2.5?  And when did they start using the CVT as the auto trans? A mechanic told me today that both started in 2010.  It is also my understanding that all 3.6 motors have timing chains and still use  a regular auto trans.  Why say you?

2008 or 2009 got selectible shift but was a 'speeded' auto. CVT's came in 2010.. The FB 2.5L ( timing chain ) came in 2011 in the Forester and 2011 in everything else except Impreza went to a 2.0L version

Mechanic is right. As far back as 2000 at least, the H6 runs a chain. The current H6's run a 5spd auto

Edited by matt167

My MIL's 2011 Forester is ej, but it's PZEV so, maybe there was some crossover? I thought FB came in  2012 for the US Forester?

around that time - you might look at www.cars101.com for specifics.

EDIT - she has a 2010 so, other info here is correct.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info about cars 101.  According to them the timing chain came in 2013 on the 2.5 and the CVT came in 2010.  trying to avoid buying a used one with say 100,00 on it and having to do the belt right away.  Adds another 800 to the cost of the car.

FB engine (timing chain, among other changes) started in 2011 Foresters, 2012 Imprezas, and 2013 Legacy/Outbacks.

CVTs started in 2010 Legacy/Outbacks (4-cyl), 2012 Imprezas, and 2014 Forester

All EZ 6-cylinders (3.0 and 3.6, since 2001) had timing chains. 2001-2004 with the 4EAT, 2005-2014 with the 5EAT, and 2015+ with the CVT.

^^^^ OK, this kinda relates to a similar question I posted elsewhere; it seems you 'might' get an FB engine attached to a 5EAT? , like, 2011,2012,2013 Foresters?

11-13 Foresters were the only combination of an FB and conventional automatic transmission, but it was the 4EAT. The FB and 5EAT did not meet from the factory.

• Like 1

11-13 Foresters were the only combination of an FB and conventional automatic transmission, but it was the 4EAT. The FB and 5EAT did not meet from the factory.

dang! I thought that combo would be worth searching for in a used car for my wife. Still, FB with 4EAT might be a pretty good combo.

or there could be a CVT in our future!

Test drive the CVT. It's strange, but it's perfect for a lot of drivers. My mom loves her '12 Impreza CVT. It takes a little adjustment when I drive it, but generally I like it. And it's a premium, so it has the paddle shifters, so you can tell it to change ratios if you want it to engine brake or something.

Thanks for all the info, I think I've got it sorted out now.  Next question, which was kind of touched on, how reliable is the CVT and what is it like to drive one.  I never have.  Seems like if I want an outback 2010 or later I'm going to find out

Thanks for all the info, I think I've got it sorted out now.  Next question, which was kind of touched on, how reliable is the CVT and what is it like to drive one.  I never have.  Seems like if I want an outback 2010 or later I'm going to find out

They seem to be quite reliable. We've had to replace a couple, but even when we do, junkyard ones are reasonably priced and easily sourced (which usually means ample supply of cars coming in for other reasons, and fairly low demand for replacements).

Like Gary said, you just have to drive it. It's very different, kind of feels like a conventional auto transmission that's slipping like crazy. But, if you can adjust to it, you might like it. They get much better mileage than the conventional automatics. And as ridiculous as it sounds, I recommend the trim levels with the paddle shifters, as it gives you a little control when you want it.

My 2014 Impreza Premium has the CVT and I generally like it. With the 2.0 engine feels laggy in comparison to my '05 Impreza with EJ25 and 5 speed manual. Also, I drove a 2016 Legacy with the FB25 and CVT and the acceleration quite a bit smoother with the extra power. I would definitely only want the CVT with the paddle shifters, if for nothing else than the benefit of engine braking on slippery roads.

Thought about a new thread on this but...

So I bought a 2011 outback wagon with CVT and shifter paddles yesterday. Really nice car with 75,000 and like new condition.  Paid 14,000 a fair price from a dealer also got 12 month 12,000 power train warranty included in the price.

Driving the CVT wasn't as strange as I thought it would be but it is really my wife's car and she won't know the difference.

A few questions.  Does the CVT require any maintenance?  Are the newer models like the 2011 as susceptible to head gasket failure as the older ones.  I was lucky with my 2003, over 200,000 an no head gasket problems.  This car appears to have a hill holder.  Why would they put that on an auto trans car?  My old 1989 manual trans had one and it was useful at times.  Any other tips or comments would be appreciated.   This is my 7th outback wagon.  Lastly it appears that Haynes is not making a manual for this year car, is this true?  I always rely on them for repair help along with this forum. 

Thanks to all for you input on this so far.

Haynes manuals don't make good toilet paper. They are ok if nothing else available but, factory manuals can be found free online.

2011 has aj EJ so at 105k you will want a timing belt, but no head gasket issues in the later EJs