Ultimate Subaru Message Board

All,

I have a noisy lifter in the 95 2.2 Legacy.  On start up it taps away, then goes quiet, then decides to tap away again.  When fully warmed it ticks every so often, but when revved the tap goes away.  Motor has 190K on it.  I am about to change the oil for the summer or how ever long it takes to get 3000 miles on it.  5w-30 in the motor at the moment.  Should I put a bit thicker in it? 10w-40?   I heard good things about Marvel Mystery oil also for cleaning lifters.  Recommended?  I may have the motor pulled this summer to cure an oil leak I think is coming from the separator plate, should I have lifters changed at that time?

Thanks again,   Mark

I swear by Marvel Mystery Oil. The product has been around forever. Contains a lot of detergent to do some good cleaning and lubing, and will help your lifters. Recommend adding a can to new oil & filter. Drive a week or two, then change oil again. It has thin viscosity, so use 10W - 40 weight oil with the Marvel. I have a 95 motor in my wife's 98 OBW. I use either 10W- 30W, or 10W - 40W oil. I am old school, so never took to the idea of using thin oil in the zero to 5 weight. I like the idea of thicker viscosity for better lubbing. The thin oil is just to marginally better to increase gasoline miles per gallon.

• Like 1

Agree 100% with Rooster.  But I would simply add the MMO to your old oil, drive a few hundred miles, then drain and do the new oil and filter.

I use 10w-30 synthetic in my '95 EJ22 Legacy--purrs like a kitten!

Good luck.

• Like 1

Ok all,  finally got around to changing the oil tonight.  I am putting 1 bottle of Marvel Mystery Oli in and topping off the crankcase with 10w 40.  I will let you all know how we make out in a about 2 weeks or so.

Mark

Ok all,  finally got around to changing the oil tonight.  I am putting 1 bottle of Marvel Mystery Oli in and topping off the crankcase with 10w 40.  I will let you all know how we make out in a about 2 weeks or so.

Mark

well is it quieter?

not sure yet, only got about 2 miles on it since the oil change.  Wife's car.  She will give it a good run today on her way to and from work.  I'll pull dipstick tonight and check oi;l level and get a good listen then.  Next oil change in 500 miles.

My 88 1.8 had a noisy tick to it, that sounded like a lifter...came and went whenever it wanted at low rpms . Was so loud at times, people would stop on the street to look at us! Ended up it was the oil pump!  I have not had a 2.2 do this but I wouldn't rule it out. 

UPDATE,   the oil change now has about 250 miles on it.  The lifter noise is GONE.  While I was doing the oil change I cleaned the throttle body also, now the car idles much better as another plus.   Karen will put about another 300 miles on it and I will do another change with 10w40.  I will give you another update then.

Marvel Mystery Oil did the trick!!!!!

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

I did the oil change at 500 miles yesterday, motor is quieter than it has ever been.  It also seems stronger, probably my imagination.   The Marvel Mystery Oil did a real clean on it, very very pleased.  Next project is I bought a can of Amsoil foam cleaner for the engine.  This is the stuff you warm the motor up and spray the foam down the throttle body as the motor is running.  I used it years ago on one of my Fiero's and it made a word of difference on the 2.8 that was in it.  Time to try it on the SOOB.

Mark