Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 S1 knock control circuit alone swapped to non turbo

Just wondering if anyone has salvaged the knock control circuit from the 1st series EA82T to simply monitor knock detection on other non knock models ?

I am thinking it would be reasonably simple to swipe the KCM module from between glovebox and car body, its wire loom and knock sensor.

The idea would be to wire it up deleting the wires to actually control timing advance/retard and use the test wire [white one wire plastic plug, BW near coil] to feed a Volt reader display. Tricky bit might be finding a good spot to drill and tap the block for knock sensor if not using an efi EA.

I used to run a small SLA battery in the glovebox to power up a clock hole mounted Voltage reader display [has to be able to display low Voltage like 1.7 V !] and monitored the reading of the knock control circuit. Was great to be able to see knock was at a minimum despite 12 psi boost. Rarely left the 1.7V reading except for hurried driving or up hill loads like a trailer being hauled behind.

Even more comforting to know when I discovered I forgot to hook up the knock control to the dizzy too - for months ! The joys of propane maybe ??

I am planning to build a higher comp EA82 NA using mpfi block so it has the knock sensor threaded hole I hope and considering this as project # 555 in the future :)

Edited by jono
  • Like 1

Not sure how the module is set up, but I would use a bulb that pulses with knock, not a meter. They already sell aftermarket knock lights for around $80 IIRC. Very handy when setting max timing or if you have an electronic, manually controlled advance/retard set up like MSD.

that is handy to know of aftermarket stuff and your suggestion of a light or bulb is a good one [was thinking hook up to a horn by my ear be better :) ], although what I like is the variability of the digital readout so you'd know if you saw the max of 4.5V readout you know you have hit max and got max retard [10 deg ?] going on.

I have found a diagram and looks like the usual IGN and earth hook up, the phase control signal wire to read the Volts off to a dash meter, a pos and neg hook up to the two pin sensor and their shield wire.

The S2 still have knock control but is all within the 4 plug ecu and uses a single pin knock sensor. If the 4 plugger could be monitored, would take an electronics genius to cut the workings out of an ecu. The 3 plug ecu S1 is a stand alone set up in its own box.

Looks like it is up to me to knock one up - sometimes a little concerned at the 22*BTDC I am running in my NA EA82 twin port in my ute. It is funny, the more power I get, the more I want to use, and still not enough sometimes :D

• Like 1

I think Jaycar have (or had) a knock sensor readout kit.

I never really took any notice on my S1 about this circuit. Does the wiring for knock sensor come across the engine & out the left side, or go around and across the dash?

I've got some stuffed S2 turbo ECUs if you want to try getting the 2nd board out :P

I've got a knock sensor error showing up, but it doesn't matter which ECU (working or not) and the error still shows, making me think my problem is the sensor or the wiring.

Gosh, it is over two years since I dissected that beast and the wiring is still scattered about in some chaotic state - I cant remember just how separate the wiring was ......:( But I do recall stripping the wiring from the loom, so must be all wrapped up. The KCM is on the opposite side of the car to the ECU though :)

I also have a US sourced KCM and wiring - guessing it is longer :( shorter? glovebox on different sides in US market yet coil stays put.... KCM is a different part number too. From memory the FSM does not show all the knock wiring in the loom for some reason.

My first knock sensor was RS, broken and rusted out. Yours may be same. S1 are white with two pins, S2 and beyond green plastic and one wire