Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I don't have an answer. However, since there is a specialized Ca engine, you probably need to stay with that type of engine only. Probably difficult for anyone to tell you the differences between the Federal version vs the California version.

With some luck, someone on here may have seen both.  There are factory service manuals online, digging through those would take time, but they will have the different versions, so you could compare.

The only 1st hand experience I have is with Loyales - I have a CA one, and  a few 49 state.  On those, there is one extra sensor to measure the EGR temperature.  Everything on the EA82 engine is identical except the intake manifold.

If the body of the car is in great shape you might think about shipping the engine to CCREngines and have them rebuild it for you. It will take a good amount of money to have it rebuilt and installed back in the vehicle but you will have an engine with basically zero time on it and with a 36 month warranty.

• Like 2