Ultimate Subaru Message Board

06 Legacy post Accident; Worth repairing?

My 2006 Subaru Legacy (LTD) was recently involved in an accident involving a deer and a guardrail. My friend was driving it, so unfortunately I only know what happened secondhand from him. Sounds like there was little that could've been done to avoid it. Consequently, theres some extensive front end damage. At the very least, the hood, right fender, grille, bumper cover, radiator, as well as various superstructure pieces would need to be replaced. We didn't have comprehensive insurance on it so any repairs made will be out of pocket. 

The car has 183,000 miles on it and received a complete engine rebuild last summer. She runs like a champ and has been a great car. There's a possibility that I could do most of the work on it myself, with the help of my dad. If the frame is good, is she worth trying to save, or am I better off moving on? Any advice, thoughts, comments, etc. are appreciated. Thanks. 

IMG_20160613_114223244.jpgIMG_20160613_114235396.jpgIMG_20160613_114308308.jpgIMG_20160614_095434489.jpg

wheatonfootball64,

It really comes down to a number of factors:  how attached you are to the car?

how much money you're willing to part with?

are you prepared to buy a rear-ended/broadsided wreck for parts?

do you have something else to drive in the meantime?

how much wrenching you've done in the past?

do you have a place to do the work?

when completed will you have more into the car than its worth? After all. it is a 10 year old car.

You need to answer all of these questions, as well as get a good appraisal that the engine and the entire drive-train and chassis are undamaged, before you consider the rest. If there is any doubt the drive-train and chassis .... you would be wise to pass.

Did the air bags go off? If so, the bill just went up.

Easy peasy. Been there done that.

The top radiator supports are flimsy and non structural, pointless to replace, pull them back close as you can get and bolt on parts and run it another 100k. If front fender rail bolt won't line up just ignore them there's bunches of bolts holding that thing on.

Pull with straps to line up new parts.

Tow strap and a tree or a winch or even another car to pull as needed. Porta Powers are great but most people don't have them and hard to fit with engine in situ.

I've had one I rebuilt from a 70 mph deer hit years later spin out at 75 mph on interstate, front into gaurd rail - spun around then crushed rear. It held up great, prior accident made no difference, 4 passengers fine and I rebuilt it again - though as a POS beater I let people borrow to help them out for extended periods of time.

I'd fix that in a couple hours without even worrying about cutting/welding/front clip.

Gary is right , I've fixed many deer smashes like yours.As long as the air bags didn't deploy . Pull it straight, bolt what you can and drive it. Of course if you do it yourself, it will never look as good again as it did pre-deer.  The thing about hitting a deer, If you don't try to dodge it . As long as you stay on the road and don't hit anything else. It 's not comprehensive...it's considered an act of god and your regular insurance would cover it. Around here hitting a deer is as common as... oh it's snowing again ! Dodge the deer and go off the road or hit a tree and it's reckless driving. No insurance coverage for that... crash into the furry critter knock it rump roast over tea kettle but stay on the road and it's all good.  

I've done lots of SRS airbag stuff too. Also easy. Just swap in new bags (belts if equipped) and controller if needed (2004 and earlier isn't necessary to replace controller but lots of sets of front bags come with a used controller). Just don't get a used bag subject to the massive airbag recalls.).