Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Attack of the mice, now TWICE!#

Oh how I hate mice! I had uno in storage over the winter and mice moved in. I put screen over the vents but apparently there are other ways in.

I took off the vent covers and sucked out the nest with a vacuum then leaf blower. It was right over the air intake making me want to puke.

A bleach wash, flush and dry neutralized it pretty well. I bought a bottle of peppermint extract and dumped the entire bottle in the vent intake.

Now it smells like a breath mint.

Why don't the mice go live in Chevies or a Prius?

Yeah i found a nest inside of my trunk storage this spring, and I'm pretty sure a family moved into the vents. Smells slightly of death every once in a while haha. My kitty is on patrol, but I found a dead body in a cup of water I left in my car last week so I'm pretty sure they're there. I'm lazy. Plus, the fact that I live on a farm makes me a fool to think I can get rid of the mice. Kitty kills ~3-4 a day and hasn't slowed down for over 3 months now. They are endless.

Edited by Nick Nack

That sucks... I was cleaning out the intake in our GMC Sierra and there was a little bit of nesting material on the air filter :angry: . I traced it back through the cold air intake and found a nest of dead baby mice in the plastic air bock that vents the air to the main air box. It was disgusting... took me 45 minutes to clean out that disgusting thing. I share in your disdain for those stupid rodents  :mad:

Oh how I hate rodents in cars.

On an ea81 car, the spot they can gain access through, are the round holes in the front inner fenders, towards the rear. I'm pretty sure the holes are cowl drains.

Anyways, on mine I used a few sheet metal screws to affix some expanded metal (heavy duty metal screen). Also, if your shifter boot has any holes, they'll jump in through that, too. Mine was, so I attached expanded metal over the opening, beneath the rubber boot. Leave sharp edges pointed down, on the areas that need to be removed, to clear the shifters movement.

Unfortunately, I did that after I had had to completely dismantle the interior to R&R the heater/ac plenum, fan and heater core, and ac evaporator.

You fellas running around with old pee and poo soaked rodent nests, and even dead rodents within your heater aren't doing your driving comfort or health any favors!

It's a pain, but the best option, if you mean to keep your car; tear it all out, clean all the pieces thoroughly. On the heat and/or AC coils, spray with bleach and really blow them out well.

Once you're done, your car will smell much nicer, you won't have debris fly at you when the air is on, and chances are, your heat and AC will work better as well.

My neighbor's cat patrols my driveway as well. I once saw it face down a raccoon. My car only got mice after being in the garage over the winter. The mice had chewed a hole in the rubber bumper on the bottom of the garage door. 

Might have to get a kitty again