Ultimate Subaru Message Board

does H6 motor need to be removed for head gasket job?

just wondering because there is a really good one for sale for 1000 in my town. it is a 2001 and the guy already replaced the radiator and water pump by a pro. he said it is " probably" a head gasket. wondering why the shop he took it too did not do a test on it. 

wow even the water pump is a beastly job on those, i'm surprised they did that.  i can't believe how many water pumps mechanics throw at Subarus - are they common failure items in other cars, because they really don't ever fail, it's pointless to replace/guess a Subaru water pump failure.   why don't trained mechanics/shops know that?  Because it's common with other cars?

yes if you cut the front clip/fener rails off - you can do them in the vehicle.   it would be torture to try and do an EZ30 in the vehicle. 

the H6 is a beast of a job to repair - 100 bolts to get the timing chain covers off, it's crazy.  an outer cover, inner cover and all the ancillary stuff too.  and then - you have to wonder how badly was it overheated?  

are you doing a headgasket job on an engine that's going to throw a rod bearing in the short term?

try and get a good read on the seller and see if you think they're trust worthy in describing how much/often/badly it's been overheated. 

resurface the heads and use Subaru gaskets if you do it. 

i was wondering why the mechanic did not do a head gasket test before replacing the radiator and water pump. i know the shop he took it too and the guy seems pretty good. it's a one man shop and he has been in business over 30 years.

i emailed the seller twice a couple days agao with no response so i'm thinking a pass is in order.

thanks everyone for advice.