Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BRAT from the dead!

BratWarrior

• 2 weeks later...

Update! I removed the front brakes suspension. I unbolted the strut and spring while it was still in the car and BAM! that spring flew off.  :D Hahahaha. Wont be doing it that way again, but these struts were dead anyway. I'd like to replace the springs with something new, but Ea81 springs are impossible to find. I have also looked for RX springs to no avail. I would be willing to cut something to make it fit if anyone has any ideas. If not, the old ones will go back in with new struts. I also removed the headlights, surrounds and mounts. I have a wire to fix and will paint the bezels.

- Dirty stuff will get scrubbed and painted. -

photo%201%2016.jpg

- Gotta get that bumber off for sanding and paint. - 

photo%202%2018.jpg

Next I'll finish cutting out the rust (almost there) and strip the floor pans. I'll also start freshening up some interior and body parts.

Pulled the front bumper today. I'll probably use the one from the donor car. Not 100% sure yet. They are both in pretty good shape, but need to be sanded and painted. The body area just under the bumper is pretty bent. The driver's side is really rough. Not sure what I'm gonna do about this. This isn't going to be a show car (yet), but I'd like everything to be straight. 

- Sans bumper. What have I gotten myself into??? - 

photo%202%2020.jpg

- Driver's side under bumper panel. Hmmm... -

photo%203%209.jpg

- Spray painted the tailgate emblem black. It was very faded. Forgot to take a "before" photo! I'll be repainting the letters with paint pens. -

photo%201%2017.jpg

Still have to finish cutting the cancer out. Hopefully done with that tomorrow. Stay tuned!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was going say that hatch looks to good to cut up, got any plans for it ?

The body and most of the interior is in good shape. It is the donor vehicle fo the BRAT. Rockers are rusted, but the rest of the body is solid. One mismatched fender. Front seats are shredded. Dash is perfect. Motor is shot. Has AC and power steering. Wheels are ok. Winshield is cracked. Other glass is perfect. I would love to rebuild it is well, but it just isn't practical for me. I hate to destroy another old Subaru, but if it puts the BRAT back on the road, I'm happy. I will also find good homes for EVERYTHING but the main body and frame. Nothing will be wasted!

• 3 weeks later...

The body and most of the interior is in good shape. It is the donor vehicle fo the BRAT. Rockers are rusted, but the rest of the body is solid. One mismatched fender. Front seats are shredded. Dash is perfect. Motor is shot. Has AC and power steering. Wheels are ok. Winshield is cracked. Other glass is perfect. I would love to rebuild it is well, but it just isn't practical for me. I hate to destroy another old Subaru, but if it puts the BRAT back on the road, I'm happy. I will also find good homes for EVERYTHING but the main body and frame. Nothing will be wasted!

How are the fenders?