Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to forum contemplating used Subaru purchase 2005-2010

Hello,  My name is John I was planning a new Outback purchase then my wife wanted a VW Golf.  So now we are looking for an used Subaru and I'm looking for suggestions, recommendation, and things to look out for.  Our target price range is ~10K, which puts us in the 2006-2010 range depending on mileage.  I like several models Outback, Forester, and Impreza wagons.   I'm fairly handy with mechanical things but not looking for a project I already have an `87 911 Carrera for that kind of stuff.  Also have a 15 year old that will be driving it at times as soon as she gets her license, has her permit already.

Thanks in advance for you insight,

John

SF Bay Area

if you're handy enough to do a timing belt - maybe you could find one that is approaching the 105K mile-mark, bargain the price down based on dealer quote for TB system service, do the TB system service yourself and KNOW it was done correctly.

or, if you never want to hassle with a TB service, get an H6.

the older a car is, the less important its brand and reliability rating and the more important the car's previous care and current condition become - shop carefully. maybe have a mechanic on-line to perform a pre-purchase inspection, might save you thousands o r - give you a little ammo to negotiate a lower price.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

2005 and 2010 were the first years of major body style changes. 2013 saw a completely new 4-cylinder engine (you probably won't find any of those in your budget). 2010+ 4-cylinders got the CVT, in this market, you wouldn't see one that new for $10k unless it had 300k miles on it, but should you happen to see one, don't be scared of it but make sure you drive it before you buy it. They're very different to drive, and some people just can't stand it.

2005-2009 cars had 3 engine options. SOHC non-turbo 2.5l 4-cyl. These are fairly notorious for head gasket issues. They don't almost ever blow catastrophically, but they leak oil externally, and burn a little coolant. If it hasn't been overheated, you can just throw the updated gasket (the part number and design has been superceded and improved. Buy them from Subaru by your VIN) in it and be good to go. Ask about head gasket history. Get the car up in the air, and look at the bottom of the heads, near the exhaust port, to see if there is any oil on the bottom of the engine indicating a likely head gasket leak. These got variable valve timing in 2006

There was also a DOHC Turbo 2.5l 4-cyl. These require more consistent oil changes. So be extra vigilant about service records. I don't generally recommend them for daily driver use.

And the 3.0l 6-cyl. I love this engine, decent power, but very reliable. Timing chains, so no worry about timing belt maintenance. They are pretty tight in the engine bay, so they can be kind of difficult to work on, but generally don't need as many major repairs.

4-cyl engines were available with a 4-speed Auto, or a 5-speed Manual. 6-cyls with a 5-speed Auto.

2005 Outbacks with the non-turbo 4-cyl did not have an immobilizer, all others (turbo, 6-cyl in 2005, and all 2006+) do have an immobilizer. This makes key replacement much more expensive.

Beyond that, pretty much normal used car stuff....

Thanks guys for the quick and informative answers.  It would have taken me weeks to gather this on my own.

I'll post back when I have more questions and or have made a purchase decision.  I have enough cars so I have time to try to get it right.

John