Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy OBW, throwing code PO130

99 Legacy OBW, throwing code PO130, and a check engine light...........

Code reader says this is for bank 1, sensor 1, 02 sensor. So, I bought a Bosch upstream part # 13702, 02 sensor as a replacement. I asked a buddy to install it, but he ran into problems. He could only find one 02 sensor, when as I understand it there should be two 02 sensors, an up stream, and a down stream unit.

To add to the confusion, he says the 02 sensor he found is tucked up under the exhaust system. Further more, he says the existing 02 sensor is smaller in size then the Bosch unit, with a longer power cord. He says that it appears the exhaust system needs to be dropped to gain access to install a new sensor.. Nothing seems to add up. I have replaced oxygen sensors in the past, and have never run into anything like this.

I checked through the USMB archives with no success.

Can anyone give me some advise........much appreciated............Rooster2

Update..............looked at a couple of you tube "how to" videos. Saw the up stream 02 swapped out on an 03 Leggie. Prolly same as my 99. Doesn't look like much room to get a socket in there. Where there is a will, there is a way. Saw recommended spray first with PB Blaster, then warm up exhaust system to help break old sensor loose. Once broke loose, job looks easy.

Edited by Rooster2

No, can't fit a socket on it.

Buy one of the crows foot sensor tools from advance auto for like $12. That's what I use on most Subaru sensors.

You can sometimes get a regular box end wrench on it but its hard to get enough leverage to crack it loose.

Yes it does help to run the engine for 5 minutes or so first to get the pipes warmed up. Just wear gloves and sleeves.

No, can't fit a socket on it.

Buy one of the crows foot sensor tools from advance auto for like $12. That's what I use on most Subaru sensors.

You can sometimes get a regular box end wrench on it but its hard to get enough leverage to crack it loose.

Yes it does help to run the engine for 5 minutes or so first to get the pipes warmed up. Just wear gloves and sleeves.

Thanks for the advise. I think I have a 22MM box, which I think fits. If not, off to Advance Auto per your suggestion.

Update.............bought the 02 tool from Advance Auto. It fit okay, but really need a lift to get any muscle on the breaker bar. Just could not get the old 02 sensor to break loose. Plan B is to go to my local cut, bend, weld muffler shop. With their lift, I am hoping they can get the leverage to loosen up the old 02, if not, then drop the cat down for better access. Subaru did not put the 02 sensor in a user friendly spot to work on.

Edited by Rooster2

Follow up...............went to my cut, bend, weld muffler shop. They were great, removed the bad 02 sensor with a lot of effort, installed the replacement sensor that I brought along. Cost was $30, and that was a very good deal I am thinking.

Advise.........for anyone having this trouble in the future, take the car to a muffler shop, not a car repair garage. If the sensor had broken off in the cat, or pulled the threads out of the cat converter, I was in the perfect shop to have a new cat installed.

• Like 1