Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Of all the fuel pumps I've replaced on various vehicles, I can't recall having done one on a Subaru. But of course, you work on them long enough you're bound to have to eventually right?

Today I confirmed that after 20 years and 253k miles, the fuel pump in my 96 L finally has given in. It still works, makes great pressure once the engine is running, but when its hot the engine cranks for about 5-8 seconds before it builds enough pressure to allow the engine to start. Once turned off the pressure drops back to 0 immediately. When priming the fuel system with the supply line stuck in a bottle I barely get a dribble even after 3-4 tries.

I guess the check valve went bad. Just thought I would share.

Now I have to decide on which brand of replacement pump to buy.

Denso, or Bosch.

Edited by Fairtax4me
  • Like 1

Interesting failure mode, I don't think I've ever heard of  that happening before. My legacy does something almost similar, it'll fire back up immediately, but if i wait a minute it cranks for several seconds. I wonder if it's the same issue just starting to manifest itself.

It could also be a fuel leak internal to the tank, not big enough to cause a problem (yet), but enough to bleed pressure off when the pump stops.

Edited by 987687

$292 on rockauto for complete assembly.

Id rather pay $475 and get the real Subaru one from SPFY. I don't plan to go that route unless I find that the housing is rusted out really bad.

Walbro 255 kit on amazon is only $87 so that's on the list too. Just have to find some time to pull the assembly out of the tank and check it over.

In the meantime:

Did the walbro 255 on mine, it's a longer pump than stock. I ended up using a pipe cutter and bubble flare tool to trim off about 1/4" on the assembly to make it fit.  This is how it looked before trimming the pipe.wgdXXlv.jpg

Edited by nvu

I used one of those El Cheapo Airtext fuel pumps on my 1996 Legacy L.  It works fine.  Has been running fine for >7K miles. (2 years).

Needed the usual wire crimping and a fuel hose tweak to make it look like a factory unit.   You have to be patient and in a zen mood as you pull the pump stack out of the tank hole since it needs a little finesse to take it out with the float, sender, pump and all through the hole.

The real fun was when the car wouldn't start one night and the AAA guy started pounding on the fuel tank with a rubber mallet while yelling at me to try starting the car.   It got the car running so I could drive it home rather than be towed.   But the next day I promptly changed the fuel pump out.

Ordered the Walbro. Figure once this engine decides to go (compression on #4 keeps getting lower), it will probably get a 2.5 or maybe larger, and I won't have to even think about fuel supply, because it will certainly be there.

Walbro is in. Was actually smaller than the stock pump. Kinda skeptical of it at first but then decided I didn't care. Stuck it on and then found it wasn't quite an exact fit, but it was close enough. Wire harness connector that came with the kit I got was a perfect match to the connector on the sender housing.

Turned the key and fired right up without even priming it. Still had the access cover off and I could hear the whoosh as the fuel blasted up into the line. Pressure builds instantly, and now holds after shut-off. Back on the road again!

Mine was the same way. Actual pump still spun, but engine wouldn't fire. I used the exact fit from parts store (everything lines up perfectly and it includes a slip cover akin to a beer can cooler) and it's been running OK since installing. If car lasts another 190k miles, it'll be an engine held together by rust :)

Fairtax, glad to hear you're back on the road/trail. Curious if you recall what the factory pump looked like when you pulled it and what fuel stations you use typically?

Personally, I stick to Shell, Exxon or Costco.

R

• 2 weeks later...

Walbro is in. Was actually smaller than the stock pump. Kinda skeptical of it at first but then decided I didn't care. Stuck it on and then found it wasn't quite an exact fit, but it was close enough. Wire harness connector that came with the kit I got was a perfect match to the connector on the sender housing.

Turned the key and fired right up without even priming it. Still had the access cover off and I could hear the whoosh as the fuel blasted up into the line. Pressure builds instantly, and now holds after shut-off. Back on the road again!

Did you have a link to the one you bought?

I would pay the $80 (cheaper than 120 for a "spectra premium" on rock auto) to have a spare laying around. 

Second, I have a 2005 2.5i outback, think the walbro would work with it? I am not sure what if any issues could be caused by running a bigger fuel pump than stock if needed. 

On a 2005 you'll have the big plastic pump assembly that I don't think you can replace just the pump. Maybe someone has done it, but I'm not sure if the walbro would fit in that one.

Hey Rob, the old pump had the typical brownish/tan fuel varnish all over it. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I usually fill at the Kangaroo station down the street from the house, or the BP at Zion if I'm leaving work and need gas. Can't say I've noticed much difference between the two.