Ultimate Subaru Message Board

where to buy good used engines (wrx)

hello all i'm here (hopefully in the right place) today to ask for inputs of different places to get reasonable priced and millage engines. I'm in the mists of research for a new setup i already have an ej22 sohc in my rail buggy tube frame. I want even more juice so now i'm looking at an ej205 (02-05) which seems like a moderately reliable, cheap and abundant wrx motor. I already have everything to adapt the motor. I was going with the stinger ems front outfront motorsports with their custom adapted harness (rather pay someone after doing the harness for the ej22 :rolleyes: ) which would be done and driving in a weekend.  Now leads me to the question where have anyone of you fellow members got your engines from? i was looking at used jdm motors but god forbid its a big gamble, and all the kids around on Ohio Craigslist think there motor is a built 400hp motor and try to sell there wrx motor with 200k+ miles for 4 grand?! At least that sounds obnoxiously high. So where have all of you got motors from?! were they cheap? was shipping reasonable? i am aiming for around 2k on an engine i feel like i can get a reasonable engine obviously not 20 thousand miles but definitely less than 150k

thanks for any input!

-dustin 

Dustin,

I'm not a big fan of used Subie turbo engines. The EJ205 is known for spinning its bearings & blowing HG.....BUT it really depends on how rough its life has been, too. If you can't get a history lesson, Do NOT Buy. And you MUST get a compression and leak down test done, or you're really taking a risk.

From what I've read on NASIOC.com, the JDM motors ARE a gamble. Yes you can (usually) return them but what a hassle.....but they're usually cheap. If you do look @ the JDM's be cautious about year as the JDM motors got the AVCS (adjustable Camshafts) before we did, as well as the DBW (drive by wire). Most of which can be swapped w/USA (USDM) versions w/out those upgrades, but that's another 'gotcha'.

You can buy a NEW shortblock for <$2K, and maybe find a set of heads for $500? Obviously, you'll need to source all the other parts, so it may be way over budget, but that's my suggestion.

GL<

TD

P.s. An option to consider is using your 2.2 block w/the WRX heads. I'd consider the 2.2 (assuming it's the older '90-'96 version) just as reliable as the 2.0. The WRX has coated,  but not forged pistons. 200hp/torque @the wheels would be a safe, conservative goal w/the stock WRX components. The TUNE is equally important to the build.

Edited by wtdash

Wtdash thanks a ton for the reply and the insight. i was considering doing to head swap to lower the compression but then i want a different harness cause the one i have no is a 95 which was an really odd year. but either if i did do that it wouldnt matter because i would want the stinger ems a good basic ems unit and pretty respectable it seems like. i just want the area between 200 and 300 max ill take it if i could get 310 or so :rolleyes: that sounds like a fairly obtainable number, regardless i didnt know if there was a place thats known and reputable thats not a gamble. I know outfront motor sports is where i was going to have my harness done this time around for the stinger, instead of doing it myself. Ive only heard of good things about their motors as well. i know they wont be cheap. but i feel like frankensteining a motor would be iffy too. i have the mechanical skills to do it. Realistically it would be like you said sourcing the parts. frankinstiening wouldnt be a bad idea since ill drive this one till the motor blows on the 2.2 and in the meantime start saving and scavenging parts!

Now if i did frankenstein i assume the harness i want is one for the heads and intake manifold ? so if i got 2.5 heads itll drop to maybe 9:1 or something around there which sounds good for a turbo setup 

Yes...Harness matches heads + intake manifold. Yes, you could go 2.5 heads, too. Note that ALL the USDM '04+ EJ255/7 heads have @ least single AVCS, if the Stinger supports it, or you can block off the oil ports and run it NON-AVCS.

I'm not knowledgeable about the '02+ franken CR's. But NASIOC will have it somewhere, and Outfront should know, too.

Note that the Subaru US models all have low 8.0:1 (EJ205 WRX), 8.2:1 (EJ257 STI), 8.4:1 (EJ255 Forester/OB XT, Baja, '06+ WRX). So, 9:1 is doable, but you'll want 93+ Octane and again...TUNED. Most shoot for a lower CR and More Boost w/a larger turbo (18G+). I'm not sure what your 'buggy would like - more off the line (no lag) or more up top (spin to win!).

a low-miles wrecked WRX 'may' not have been on the road long enough to have been reamed-out by a kid. Or, as said above, if you knew the history on a car and it was driven by an adult, that might be a good source for an engine. There are the occasional turbo Foresters that haven't been abused.

I want to keep everything under 04. My adapter plate goes up to an 04 but I don't know why the 05 wouldn't since it's the last of that generation right? How much are totaled cars usually worth anyway? 500, 2000, 5000?? I've never had luck parting and selling but that's probably because they were cars no one cared about lol realistically my best bet would be an ej22 block with ej205 heads? I see and hear the ej205 have the same or very very similar sized cylinder walls, I'm not exactly sure how low this will make it but essentially the lower the compression the more boost I can run safely? Or at least to a certain point

JDM engines are less of a gamble than a used USDM engine.  Japanese generally put far fewer miles on their cars and maintain them to a much higher standard than U.S.-owners.  The EJ207 is the cream-of-the-EJ-crop and I would highly recommend one of those, probably purchased from JDM Racing Motors.  They have a location in Canada and on the East coast of the U.S.  I've heard nothing but good things about them.

(I am in no way affiliated with JDMRacingMotors, just heard many good things about them.  I also do not have an EJ207, but from my research they have better components than a USDM STI engine, have much more power than an EJ205 and can be had for roughly the same price, but with lower mileage.)

Edited by carfreak85

JDM engines are less of a gamble than a used USDM engine.  Japanese generally put far fewer miles on their cars and maintain them to a much higher standard than U.S.-owners.  The EJ207 is the cream-of-the-EJ-crop and I would highly recommend one of those, probably purchased from JDM Racing Motors.  They have a location in Canada and on the East coast of the U.S.  I've heard nothing but good things about them.

(I am in no way affiliated with JDMRacingMotors, just heard many good things about them.  I also do not have an EJ207, but from my research they have better components than a USDM STI engine, have much more power than an EJ205 and can be had for roughly the same price, but with lower mileage.)

. That was the site I was looking at and was gonna go with or at least thinking. I was talking to two guys are a car meet one with a older gen Subie said he got his motor from there and he said it was good and the other an mr2. Both had no problems but that's nice they are actually on the states and they show compression tests on engines I was looking at the ej207's I think they had forged internals and coated Pistons and a twin scroll turbo??? I could be wrong but I thought they were way more expensive have you had an engine from there? Or has anyone had an engine from there? I know over in Japan and threat area they do take care of their possessions a lot more carefully. Off topic but at the country club I work at they are very cautious and careful with their gear. They always want it in a safe place, locked or want there shoes shined. Not one not two but all of them lol so I can see them being more caring with maintenance. The 2.2 I got was from the city of Cleveland not exactly the best area and the oil and everything was absolute garbage. Luckily it's okay because it's a 2.2 ????

JDM racing motors seems to be a very reputable supplier. They have compression checks on their site and they are not bulls****** about it. they take the video of the engine number everytime. I hear there customer service is very good too. anyone have any input? 

• Like 1