Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 Headgaskets quality questions

I have a 1996 2.2 L engine which I'm currently resealing for a 1998 2.5 Outback engine swap. I was thinking I ought to change the headgaskets while there. No history on the engine, came out of a wrecked Legacy. It's just there is white powder frosting around the drivers side headgasket, back of the topside, rear, and back of the underside. Also an obviously heavy oil pan or oil pump leak. Should I replace these headgaskets based on a hunch or should I run it and find out. The engine only has like 119,000 miles. Also I am curious about the BECK/ARNLEY kits. RockAuto has a special on their full headgasket set kits.

Edited by iriejedi

This is a GREAT question......because it's the 'bulletproof' 2.2 and low mileage...but it's an EJxxx engine. I'll be interested to hear others' opinions.

I do (most of) my own Subaru repairs and have another car I can drive if needed, so I'd probably just run it as is. If it were the 2.5 I'd definitely change the HG, as they're likely due in the next 10K anyway. :-(

I can't advise on the 'white powder'.

I'm only a fan of the current OEM HG, so no experience w/the BA kits.

FWIW, I just had new rings put in my '96 2.2 due to some smoke @ startup - 128K miles. The Subie tech found a seized/stuck oil ring (likely due to infrequent LOF's - the PO had limited maint. records), which explains the smoke, but otherwise I was told the engine looked clean.

P.s. If you have/can get the VIN from the original Legacy you can do a Carfax and if lucky there may be service history. Autocheck may also have it but less likely.

Edited by wtdash
  • Like 1

Its 20 years old, I would go ahead and put some gaskets on it while it's out just for good measure. Doesn't take much time.

The Beck Arnley head gasket kit is a rebadged cheap quality kit.

The valve cover seals and intake/exhaust gaskets are ok to use, but the head gaskets are junk.

Use Felpro head gaskets. About $25 each.