Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a outback impreza with about 130K miles on it, and I would like some help with what brand or type of transmission fluid I should get? i have never done the transmission fluid change, so i decided to hop on this forum to find help from more knowledgeable people. Also I heard that if i am going to change the front that i should also change the fluid in the back differential, is that correct?

My other problem I have noticing or hearing is screeching sounds from my belt(s). The first time i heard the screeching sound would be when i would turn on my ac in the car. Every time the ac is turned on, the screeching sound would be there for a few seconds and go away then some times it screeches as i would be driving. 

Any advice on either topic would be awesome!

Thx! 

Check tension on your AC belt and make sure it's sitting properly.

Dexron III ATF is just for the trans. Usually the cheap stuff works fine in Subarus. If shifting is goofy or it's high miles, there are some cocktails that folks have recommended.

Front and rear diffs will take gear oil like a manual transmission does. Search on here for what other folks have used. The transmission is a 5MT and again, expensive brands are not necessary, just the right weight of oil for the climate and conditions you'll be driving in most of the time.

The tensions seem to be solid on all the belts i see. Ok i'll do a little more research on that then. I live in socal so it's always sunny, and we hardly get any rain down here so climate is usually dry.

The belts are coming up on 2 and 1/2 years old now. 

So my car took another spoob on me and it won't turn on now. I go to turn the key and ignition starts as normal but once the engine starts to turn, i hear a semi grinding sound like if my bearing didn't want to turn. After about a second or two, it shuts itself down...

wait - is the trans a 5spd or automatic?  NON-synthetic GL-5 for 5spd, Dex III as said for auto. , any GL-5 will work for rear diff, check the manual for viscosity.

has the timing belt been changed? it should have been at 105K - maybe it has slipped and is causing the problem you have now?