Ultimate Subaru Message Board

d/r 4 speed axle gear oil seals

Can they be done by the home mechanic? Is there a write up? I used googles and this search function and came up empty, and im starting to lose more and more gear oil out the pass side of my trans, and the burning gear oil smell is getting way old, also part numbers for the seals if anyone can get those for me, the jokers at o'reilly dont know how to look up items for crap. Thanks everyone

If it is the axle seals, you do not need to take the tranny out.  I did this during my Christmas break in 2014 (87 Brat with 4 speed DR) and it was actually quite easy.  If I remember, you will need two O-rings (same part number for both sides, but part numbers are different for auto and manual transmissions) and LH and RH seals - I believe these are different part numbers and also different for manual and auto transmissions. If you need more detailed instructions, write back and I can help.  However, drain the transmission fluid and get the axles out.  Then work only on one side at a time as otherwise you can screw the assembly up.  You have to place reference marks on the seal retainer nut and transmission housing.  Remove the retainer nut locking clip by undoing the nut.  Then use a 6 inch 3/8" drive extension bar or another tool with a blunt end, and a rubber mallet and gently hammer the retainer nut such that it turns counter clockwise.  Count the number of turns to completely remove it.  Then after having installed the seal and o-ring (lube seal and o-ring with grease or gear oil), turn the retainer nut clockwise the same number of turns and align it with the match mark(s) previously made.  Secure it with the clip and bolt..  These are really crude steps as I am hazy on all the details.  This should fix the gear oil leak due to worn axle seals and/or retainer O-rings.

PS.  If you need part numbers, I can look these up for 85 to 87 Brats.

Edited by aba4430

Thank you! So do i need a special puller to get the seals out? Like are they real tight like wheel bearing seals? So the only one you actually have to split the trans for is the front seal? Cause i suspect a leak somewhere in there getting oil on my clutch plate. Also, is 85-87 brat ea81 4 spd? Those are the part numbers i need, and if you wanna pm me any extra helpful hints id love it, i need to get at a couple of leaks in my engine too, valve covers and oil pan, and for some reason my oil pressure spikes, like tops out the guage. But this just needs to last til i finish my other one. Thank you for your time

If your axle seals are leaking, they should really be ready to fall out.  However, a small screw driver or hooked pick tool may come in handy.  Be careful you do not scratch the sealing surface.  My Brat is a 87, 4 speed DR.  The original part numbers for the 85 to 87 models are as follows:

1. Front LH (drivers) seal:  806727040
  2. Front RH seal:  806727030
  3. O-rings:  062807110; you will need two of these.

Valve cover and oil pan gasket leaks are easy to fix.  If you really need to learn the procedures, then I suggest you carefully read the HTKYSA manuals.  There is also a PDF copy floating around on this site.  As with any repair, the appropriate safety considerations and tools are a must.  Separately, the leak that is getting to your clutch disc could also be due to a leaking rear main seal.  If you have some forum members close by, they may be able to help you.

For sure, i can manage my valve covers and stuff, but i try to read up on anythin i want to do because there iss always little ins and outs, and tricks, and things to be aware of. Thank you so much for all of your input, and ill try to get pictures as i go through and do it so that there is at least a loose write up on the subject.