Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this Outback worth considering?

I ran across a Craigslist ad for a '96 Outback today. A big plus that than manual transmission model has the EJ22. From the ad, it sounds like the owner has replaced most anything it would need at this point. He also told me that he just replaced the front axles and the tires only have about 4K on them (I presume they're a matched set)

I like the lift from the Forester springs/ struts, but I wonder if that will cause alignment/ uneven wear issues down the road. It has not be realigned since the lift.

Here's the ad:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/5651694803.html

Sounds like a well maintained car. I am surprised current owner put so much time and work on recent maintenance, only to put it up for sale. I think I have read that upgrade to Forester struts and springs causes no tire wear issues, but others here may know more about this. Also good to check tires for any strange wear. Owner should have had a 4 wheel alignment done. That affects tire wear as well.

$3,000 is a bit high for a 96 Outback, usually sell for about $2,000. Added recent maintenance adds some extra value to the price, but not as much as owner spent recently.

Drive the car in town and on the freeway to check for torque bind, and how well tranny and clutch work.

Yes, seems to me too. Also gave me more info:

Absolutely no rust, thats why i got it. Even undercarriage is clean behind rear wheel wells. Clearcoat is in okay shape, it would shine up pretty well with a full detail job im betting. No clear coat peeling of any kind though. No torque bind that i ever felt, all tires are matching and same size same tread depth. The only common Subaru problem it had when i got it was oil separator plate was leaking so i replaced it and did all the timing components and pressure tested cooling system. Found a couple minute cracks in the rad so replaced it did genuine subaru water pump and thermostat at the same time as all of that was done.

• Like 1

.02 = Buy it.

Worst case w/the alignment is if a shop CAN'T align it for some reason, and you'd need to go back to stock. I've put different struts on different Subies and always been able to align, so odds are in your favor. 

This will not be a quick/fast/powerful OB, so patience may be needed (by you and your fellow freeway onramp drivers)....depends on what you're used to, I'd guess.

Td