Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help!? Stripped threads for timing belt tensioner... =(

Finally got the parts and had the time to do the timing belt job on the new to us 2002 Forester... got all the old stuff out without too many issues, but when I went to install the new tensioner, I discovered the threads in the mounting hole are seriously damaged - somebody apparently way over-torqued it when the belt was done last... :banghead:  (some people should not be allowed to work on cars)

so now what do I do?

just for clarification purposes - it is the block that is stripped out.

Edited by heartless

That part bolts onto the engine.  Get a used one from the  yard.

Easy.

Larry

Seriously?? I am sorry, but I can NOT afford to just go buy a used engine just like that. Not to mention that Subaru's are not easy to come by in the junk yards around here - they are not nearly as plentiful here as they are in other places.

If you were trying to be funny, sorry, but you failed.

i have one $30 shipped.

I really do appreciate the offer, Larry, but a new one has already been ordered as of last night. Was really hoping to have the car up and running this weekend, but I guess it will have to wait.. why is it that things never quite go the way you plan them to? LOL

Oh well - I had also forgotten to get some of the Subaru coolant conditioner before hand, so that got ordered last night as well.

I will say that I am really glad I decided not to drive this car before doing the timing service - after pulling the old belt off and inspecting I found a nice crack getting started - about a 1/2 inch long - it wasn't going to last much longer.

The wild and wonderful world of auto repair!

At least it didn't catch on fire!

Was welding a patch in the floor board of a buddy's volvo a few weeks ago and suddenly there was a bunch of smoke billowing up from under the car.

Then with a quick puff the smoke turned into a fireball and small fire that quickly grew into a big fire!

Turns out I was welding right over top of where the fuel lines run under the car, and they were the black plastic lines, and they melted.

The really funny part was we had to watch for a few seconds and decide if it was worth putting the fire out...

• Like 3

@ Fairtax - don't speak too loudly - it ain't over yet! LOL

right now just waiting on parts to arrive so we can finish what was started. Was really hoping to be driving it this week, but such is life. :P

So - how many bolts hold that bracket in place? I can only seem to find one... :blink:

One bolt inside the timing covers, the other two sit above the covers. 12mm.

Had to do this for a buddy of mine a couple weeks ago. He installed a cheap Ebay timing kit and the new bolt supplied for the tensioner snapped off. Luckily it was a 96 (non interference) and I had a builder motor in the garage. We cannibalized the bracket and bolt and had him driving in an hour.

• Like 1

thanks guys - the one I was seeing is the one inside the cover area - will have to poke around a bit more for the other 2 (i took a look at the part picture and realized that there had to be a couple outside of the cover area - just not easily visible with alternator & AC compressor still in place)

hoping to have the part in time to get it installed this coming weekend.

Thanks for all the info guys.

I am currently just waiting on parts/supplies to arrive to hopefully get this wrapped up this weekend. Really hoping I don't have any other stripped holes (what I have done so far seems good) 

it is good to know that the old style is pretty much interchangeable with the newer style - I have the brand new 'new style' tensioner in the kit, so would just as soon use it vs using a 'used' old style - but it is good to know that worst case scenario i could make that change if I need to.

still need to get the cam seals replaced, and torque the water pump (i found the torque sequence and ft/lbs needed already)

New tensioner bracket arrived today - yippee! back to work on the Foz tomorrow... only thing i may run into is I may need to get a couple of longer bolts for the bracket - needing these were mentioned in a couple of the reviews for the part... apparently the 2 upper bolt holes are thicker in the new version. shouldn't be too much of a problem however.

Also got my coolant conditioner and the new T-stat on Thursday, as well as the new plates & registration. :)

Looking forward to getting this one buttoned up and on the road!

Edited by heartless

Gotta love that new part smell!

Don't you know it! :D

and yes, I did need to get longer bolts for the new bracket - which one is which should be obvious...

tensioner%20bracket%201.jpg

and on further inspection the old bracket needed replacing anyway... this is the steel rod the tensioner rides against... pretty worn...

tensioner%20bracket%202.jpg