Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi Guys,

I have a 1990 Liberty that's just started having an odd problem. The high beam light on the dash (that little blue one) has seemingly stopped working. Nothing has recently been installed, or changed. The high beams still work and nothing else dims or stops working. I can't seem to figure out whats happened to it. There also doesn't seem to be a light specifically for it on the back of the cluster? 

Hopefully somebody will know or have ideas of where to look??  :)  Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

You will most likely have to get inside the cluster in order to work on the light. There should be a wire going to the light in one of the connectors to the cluster that you could verify power was getting to the light when the highs are ON.

The warning lamps in my 2002 are all mounted on the printed-circuit board of the cluster. There are no wires going to each lamp, as they connect (screw-in) directly to the PCB.

It's a bit time consuming the get at the PCB, - there are quite a few items to remove to get at the back of the cluster.

Your 1990 may be different.

This could be a tricky one, not for the light bulbs but for the speedo. That one is cable driven by the gearbox, You can take the cluster out by lowering the steering wheel an unscrewing the two screws pointing upwards and two on the each side of the steering wheel, kind of shown here:

http://www.dirally.com/forums/showthread.php?15602-Flat-Black-s-GF-Build

Scroll down and there you see an impreza and a legacy/liberty cluster (the top one, green pcb, is legacy/liberty) on the backside you see the hole for the cable drive. Behind the black bajonet tabs there are light bulbs.

Quick update: Managed to get the cluster off without issues, got to the PCB inside, bulb/diode seems fine. But needing a second opinion on the circuit behind, burnt or factory stuff? http://i.imgur.com/cYHyizl.jpg Is there any relays or fuses for the high beams? I'll start tracing the wire back to see if there's any problems there. Not getting any power to pin 8 and 16, so not an 'in dash' problem  :huh:

Edited by a90liberty

The fuses and relays for the low and high beams are usually shared between both side. It is the light switches that control the power and grounding for the lights. The ground for the indictor lamp may be provided though the light switch.