Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ugly ? no .. looks like a subi motor to me... I see that it has an upgraded air filter on it. If that is a K&N filter they work great BUT... you must clean and oil it regularly or it it will plug up ... I have seen several people install a k&n (lifetime) filter and never look at it again... its lifetime right ? NO, its not unless you clean and oil it. These same people wonder why there motor only lasts a short while then seizes up. Sounds like you are looking to hot rod this car ?  Talk to the folks at colorado component rebuilders. They can tell you what will work and what will just come apart on you. Adding a turbo to this car could be done but it will be a large hassel. Locate a wrx or an sti car already turboed and  make it scream. Keep your impreza to go to parts store, then if the hot rod blows up you can still get around. Having said that when I was younger all I did was build and drive hot rods no grocery getter for me... guess i've gotten old...  If you want a hot rod, build it , they are expensive but great fun. 

You don't want an oiled air filter on a car with a MAF, you'll gum up the hotwire and it won't work properly.

The stock filter actually sucks outside air, whereas that will suck hot air from the engine bay. Not an upgrade at all...

Edited by 987687
  • Like 2

VERY Good point about the MAF, and oiled filters, i had never thought of that.. My 2000-2001 obw's both have K&N's but no maf.   987687 is correct about the hot air in the engine bay... won't matter when your doing 100 mph but at idle and in town it won't help, will hurt.  Find a way to plumb the outside air to that filter and it will help. Oh and throw a set of headers on that...if your hot rodding it.When you make it get more air it needs to exhaust as well. And then of course you need cams then nitrus oxide...then ....a lot more ! But before all that put a roll cage and a 6 point racing harness in it... fast cars eventually crash.... LOL sorry , its that old thing again...   good luck have fun!