Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carter to Hitachi swap!....But not yet running well

My 83 GL wagon came with the single barrel Carter/Weber. 

Overall this carb worked well but the choke and accelerator pump had both died, so I figured it was time for a different setup.

I bought a used Hitachi manifold from an 82; it came with a dusty Hitachi. The throttle shafts still seemed tight, so I decided to try rebuilding & simplifying the Hitachi setup before just going to a Weber.

I set up this carb as close as I could to IHScout54's setup in this thread. I ended up a bit different since I was coming from a single barrel feedback setup.

-I don't have an unbroken thermo-valve, so my choke pulloff is routed through one of many vacuum solenoids. I think I will just route this straight to the air cleaner instead.

-My Hi & Low speed air bleeds are Tee'd together and run into the air cleaner. I don't have any orifices, so I used a lighter to close the tee and push a ~.050" hole in it as my 'orifice'.

-My bowl vent is currently not plugged or hooked up to anything, thought that would be fine for now since it's shown just routing to the air cleaner anyways.

As soon as I got gas to the carb the Hitachi fired right up!

Ran very nicely with choke & high idle, but started to run really crappy as soon as the choke and high idle were coming off. 

I currently have a stumble off idle, as well as an idle speed that's inconsistent & oscillating. Even cruising around slowly in 1st & 2nd the car surges very noticeably.

Up next will be trying some sort of restriction in the line for the bowl vent, and adjusting the idle mixture. 

I currently have the choke, idle solenoid, & bowl vent solenoid plugged into the Carter/Weber ECM, but none of the other sensors & control ports for the ECM are currently hooked up. Could that be a problem?

Played with it some more today.

Got the low end surging and dead spot taken care of by plugging the low speed vent, apparently my ~.030 orifice was still flowing too much air. 

Below is a picture of my current setup. 

IMG_20160705_170902.jpg

Still cuts out around 3-4k rpm under moderate to hard acceleration. 

Up next is to try plugging and opening the high speed vent, if that doesn't work I'll play with the bowl vent some more as well.

If none of these options work, then Weber it is!