Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 Brat in Oregon

65stangy

After searching for nearly 3 years for a rust free brat, I finally found this one with 63k original miles on Craigslist about 5 hours from me.  I bravely drove it home and nearly regretted it as about half way home it started sputtering out on every little pimple on the freeway, but I made it.  I later found several issues like loose spark plugs, a vacuum leak, and whomever last replaced the plug wires did not install them properly and 3 of the electrodes were just mashed into the top of the boots.  Remarkably it was running okay in spite of the wire having to arc a full 3/4" into the cap towers. The pan bolts and valve cover bolts could be removed with my fingers.  I have a long list of things I intend to do to this brat, but my goal is for it to be completely stock other than I do plan to install jump seats and perhaps a roll bar and push bar up front.  I will re-paint the factory burgundy.

post-63496-0-09520400-1467762039_thumb.jpg

post-63496-0-98691300-1467762066_thumb.jpg

post-63496-0-13700700-1467762095_thumb.jpg

post-63496-0-34031400-1467762120_thumb.jpg

Thanks bratwarrior!  It does have a cut dash, and the part of the drivers seat that you can't see is torn, but I plan to have an upholstry shop replace the vinyl panels.  Good catch on the mud flaps, they actually weren't on the car when I bought it, but they were in the bed.  It had the ugliest canopy on it too, it looks WAY better without it, but it did keep the cargo area really clean.

The dash is starting to curl up near the windshield on the passenger side like it popped out from the defrost grill, but I am afraid if I try to flatten it down I will crack it. Are you wanting to sell your dash? The canopy is a steel gem top, I think a model 455. It wouldn't be bad if it had decent paint, I am just not a fan of canopies. I will post a pic maybe tomorrow.

That would be a good donor dash to re cover and have ready to replace, but I will have to pass at this time and stay focused on the immediate priorities.  I think when I have the windshield out for paint I will attempt to re-secure where mine has curled.  Other than the curl my dash is perfect.

• Like 1