Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Baja has right at 250,000 miles and now I am getting some oil in the water I suppose it's a head gasket, I see they have 2.0 engines on eBay pretty reasonable, they say the intake has to be changed because of the EGR valve. do you think that reduction in engine size would affect the car a lot, I do pull a trailer with my golf cart to swap meets and such. also if I don't change the manifold will it work that way.

Thanks Vernon

You probably won't be happy with a 2.0, they work well but need lots of rpms to do what the 2.5 does, standard transmissions work much better than an automatic with this swap. Not sure about the manifold swap.  Rather than ebay just search for japanese takeout motors (same ones on ebay but hopfully closer to your home) I'm sure that a large city near you will have an outlet. Best choice if you like your car and want another 250,000 miles is call (colorado component rebuilders)(http://ccrengines.com/ these are not cheap but are a quality rebuild by a shop that only rebuilds subi motors.

You probably won't be happy with a 2.0, they work well but need lots of rpms to do what the 2.5 does, standard transmissions work much better than an automatic with this swap. Not sure about the manifold swap.  Rather than ebay just search for japanese takeout motors (same ones on ebay but hopfully closer to your home) I'm sure that a large city near you will have an outlet. Best choice if you like your car and want another 250,000 miles is call (colorado component rebuilders)(http://ccrengines.com/ these are not cheap but are a quality rebuild by a shop that only rebuilds subi motors.

I agree, going to a 2.0 is too great a loss of power. On my 98 OBW, I went from a 2.5 to a 2.2 with a loss of about 35 hp. The loss is significant, and sometimes uncomfortable, especially when entering an on ramp on the interstate, when you need some power to blend in with traffic. When pulling a trailer, you need all the HP you can get. Don't think you will be happy with a 2.0 motor.

My experience............I have bought two motors from junk yards. Both turned out to be good engines, and continue to work well. It is best to get a motor from a car that has been wrecked. At least you know the car was being driven just before entering the JY, and the yard can tell you how many miles were on the donor car's odometer. Also, with my last motor purchase, I was given the name of a small independent shop that swaps in motors, and does a lot of swaps with motors sold by that JY. That all worked out well, as they swapped in the motor for $700.00, and did a good job.

I have read stories about Japanese take out motors sent here to the U.S. Some work great, but some have been junk. They cost considerably more then a motor from a JY, so I don't think they are worth it. Truth be known, the Japanese take outs are most likely motors from Japanese JYs, so what is to be gained going this route?

Edited by Rooster2

or, get a lower-miles 2.5 engine from a wreck (probably running OK when it crashed) and pull the heads - resurface and reinstall with multilayer steel/turbo gaskets - new timing belt system components, and drive for another 200K+

DOH! - beat by seconds!

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

or, get a lower-miles 2.5 engine from a wreck (probably running OK when it crashed) and pull the heads - resurface and reinstall with multilayer steel/turbo gaskets - new timing belt system components, and drive for another 200K+

DOH! - beat by seconds!

+1000

I install JDM shortblock all the time with very little come backs. Only have had two but it's been due to oil consumption from sitting.

Don't use a JDM NA EJ20, you won't find head gaskets in the US to use on it when they blow.

If it was mine, I'd get a JDM 2.5 shortblock from Foreign Engines in Lynnwood, WA, slap some new Six Star head gaskets on it and go.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info , guys, I sorta thought it was under  powered, I found a parts car with 119XXX miles but after looking it over, it's too good to tear up so I licensed it and am driving it now so maybe I will wait a while for an engine for the Baja. thanks again for the help.

Pretty sure the ej205 head gaskets will work in the SOHC 2.0l. Either way the 2.0l is the engine u use when you don't really have hills

There is an EJ204 that could be worth it. 11:1, DOHC 190hp screamer. And they are cheap because nobody knows about them. You may have to change crank and cam gears but,usdm wrx stuff will work