Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for best method to stop the motor from turning while tourqing flex plate bolts to back of 2004 ej25 motor. Motor is out of car.  I know there is a trick to doing it, can't rember what it is.

Edited by steve56

Plan - A You could try taking an old serpentine belt and wrapping it around the crank pulley like a strap wrench.. The trick is to wrap the belt back over on itself (thereby destroying the belt) and hooking it over something else on the engine. Hint, another nearby pulley works great. You are using an old belt as a strap wrench. Some people will tell you this will ruin the crank pulley so look at it with common sense. If the outer ring is mounted on rubber then perhaps on to plan "B" instead,

Plan - B Try putting a screwdriver or pry bar through one of the holes in the flex plate and brace it against the block, again using common sense not to ruin anything.

Plan - C Buy or borrow the really cool special Subaru crankshaft holding tool. It fits on the crank pulley and gives you about a 2 foot handle.

Edited by Crazyeights

Plan - A You could try taking an old serpentine belt and wrapping it around the crank pulley like a strap wrench.. The trick is to wrap the belt back over on itself (thereby destroying the belt) and hooking it over something else on the engine. Hint, another nearby pulley works great. You are using an old belt as a strap wrench. Some people will tell you this will ruin the crank pulley so look at it with common sense. If the outer ring is mounted on rubber then perhaps on to plan "B" instead,

Plan - B Try putting a screwdriver or pry bar through one of the holes in the flex plate and brace it against the block, again using common sense not to ruin anything.

Plan - C Buy or borrow the really cool special Subaru crankshaft holding tool. It fits on the crank pulley and gives you about a 2 foot handle.

I found that I have tool you mentioned in Plan - C. It has the the thick bolts for the crank pulley with large holes. I need the thinner set of bolts for crank pulley with small holes. Don't seem to have the right size bolts to turn into the tool. Anybody know what size and thread pitch they are. I will call Company 23 in the morning if I dont come up with the correct ones tonight.

I always just put a 22mm socket on the crank pulley with the breaker bar. One hand on the breaker and one to tighten the bolt.

Thats a method I was thinking about. It seemed kind of awkward to be holding the 22mm socket and wrench on the front of engine while trying to get the proper torque on the flex plates bolts with socket and torque wrench  in the back of engine.

I dont understand your method.Could you be more specific.

I had to use that trick to remove a crank pulley from a motor already out of a car. Would work fine for this as well. Basically you are temporarily bolting the outside of the flex plate to the engine block so it can't rotate. I used a piece of steel with two holes drilled into it. As mentioned you can use a double ended box wrench. One bolt to the outside of the flex plate and one to the outside of the motor block. Then remove it after the flex plate bolts are in.

• Like 1

Works great. 

If there was the demand, I' could make up a bunch of steel straps with a hole on one end and a bolt welded in the other end.

Larry

Yes. Guy I was selling an engine to showed me a way similar to yours to hold the flex plate stationary. Is was so simple and effictive. Just cant remember what it was.