Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all.
Been a while.

I was wondering, I was looking at an 05 Legacy GT 2.5
It appears the turbo is going on the car.

I wondered is it feasible to run this car this way till I could get it fixed?

Is that an expensive fix? I would have to basically replace the turbo?

Just wondering.

Thanks for any possible help.

Dan
Good weekend all.

:)

If you let the turbo go on those cars you will be replacing the engine shortly thereafter. Replace the turbo, and replace the banjo bolt in the back of the passenger side head that feeds the turbo and avcs system. Those models have filter screens in them that get clogged over time and starve the turbo of oil causing shaft bearing damage which leads to the turbo seizing and snapping the shaft. Tons of shrapnel gets circulated through the engine and within 3-500 miles you have a knocking rod.

• Like 1

$200-300? People wish is was that cheap...

To have a shop replace the turbo, all three hoses, remove the banjo bolt filter, removal and cleaning of the oil pan, it's more like $2200...

If it's failing, stop driving it. It can go from $2200 to $8500 real quick. I'm only in the middle of doing one myself and have another one waiting for me to start on it.

• Like 1

$200-300? People wish is was that cheap...

To have a shop replace the turbo, all three hoses, remove the banjo bolt filter, removal and cleaning of the oil pan, it's more like $2200...

If it's failing, stop driving it. It can go from $2200 to $8500 real quick. I'm only in the middle of doing one myself and have another one waiting for me to start on it.

It's that cheap if you do it yourself. give or take the small parts. providing the turbo has not blown up

Edited by matt167

With what parts? Unless you use a cheap rebuilt turbo, it'll never be that cheap. A new turbo from Subaru is roughly $1200 just by itself, then factor in 3 hoses, 2 gaskets, a banjo bolt with crush gaskets and you're pushing $1300. Just in parts.

But hey, I only do this for a living. If you want to run cheap parts, you'll be doing it again. Or end up with other issues. Just my $.02

• Like 1

With what parts? Unless you use a cheap rebuilt turbo, it'll never be that cheap. A new turbo from Subaru is roughly $1200 just by itself, then factor in 3 hoses, 2 gaskets, a banjo bolt with crush gaskets and you're pushing $1300. Just in parts.

But hey, I only do this for a living. If you want to run cheap parts, you'll be doing it again. Or end up with other issues. Just my $.02

If you catch the turbo quick enough, you can remove it, buy new bearings for $35 (if a GTxx Garrett can also upgrade to a 360 thrust plate) then ship JUST the rotating assembly (with or w/o the housing) and get it balanced at a place like G-Pop for $70. If compressor wheel is bad, can add $50 for replacement roughly. If Turbine is bad, around $125~. Doing the math, you can get a freshly rebuilt turbo for very little, and yes it'll be done "right".