Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what does high mileage oil do ?

High mileage oils have some extra additives that help keep old seals from drying out. They tend to have more detergents to help clean out sludge and varnish buildup. They can also help lower oil consumption in some cases.

I've been using Valvoline high mileage in my cars for years.

High mileage oils have some extra additives that help keep old seals from drying out. They tend to have more detergents to help clean out sludge and varnish buildup. They can also help lower oil consumption in some cases.

Thanks,  I am going to try some.

What is different about it ?  And why is it good,  ?  thanks

in general they're unnecessary.  varying weights or concoctions may mitigate a specific engine issue, but on an otherwise great running engine with no symptoms they aren't preventative or helpful in terms of longevity like most people think.

most peope think 150,000 miles is "high mileage" - it's really not high mileage at all.  poor running 150,000 mile engines have seen heavy use (racing/towing/playing) or poor maintenance. 

subaru's run 300,000 miles all day long with cheapest automotive oil you can find without issues.

so what's your mileage, prior history, and concern with the engine?

The biggest difference in conventional- high milage engines is, HM oil is almost universally semi synthetic nowdays. I think it was Valvoline that coined the term semi synthetic/ synthetic blend in the mid 90's with "Durablend"

in general they're unnecessary.  varying weights or concoctions may mitigate a specific engine issue, but on an otherwise great running engine with no symptoms they aren't preventative or helpful in terms of longevity like most people think.

most peope think 150,000 miles is "high mileage" - it's really not high mileage at all.  poor running 150,000 mile engines have seen heavy use (racing/towing/playing) or poor maintenance. 

subaru's run 300,000 miles all day long with cheapest automotive oil you can find without issues.

so what's your mileage, prior history, and concern with the engine?

the top end is noisy,   116k miles on a 1996 legacy i know this is low miles for the ej2.2   this is my fourth one.

i bought the car for $350 with bad head gaskets,  i fixed them and other small things.  overall the car is great.  after HG, fixing the A/C.  and other stuff.  the engine is noisy  IM sure its not rod knock  but more top end, im going to stat another thread with video to try and fix it.

I changed the oil 3 times this time i have 16oz of mystery oil  along with 10-40     after 1000 miles i wanted to change oil again.  thats why i asked about high mile oil.

do i do a valve job?  are the lifters hydraulic on a 96 ?  thanks 

Edited by winginit