Ultimate Subaru Message Board

power steering upgrade

I believe you can use the EA82 rack, with some modifications to tie-rod ends. You need to drill some holes into the k-frame to make it fit in either case.

The engine side would really be getting the right mounting solution if using an EA82. But finding an EA81 PS setup would be a lot easier for this.

Little bit of info in this thread (no photos though) : http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17231&highlight=power+steering

Assuming you are gonna use EA81 stuff. Here's what I had issues with. The biggest issue is the crossmember. They are different across manual and power racks. To bolt up a power rack I had to grind it down on one side to be able to use it. Also the steering joint is different, I believe. I just welded an extension on mine and that seemed to work ok. Also need the extended thermostat housing.

I found power steering to rob a ton of power from my brat. Couple that with AC during the summer and it's almost painfully slow.

EA81 power steering parts aren't the easiest to come by, either.

Assuming you are gonna use EA81 stuff. Here's what I had issues with. The biggest issue is the crossmember. They are different across manual and power racks. To bolt up a power rack I had to grind it down on one side to be able to use it. Also the steering joint is different, I believe. I just welded an extension on mine and that seemed to work ok. Also need the extended thermostat housing.

I found power steering to rob a ton of power from my brat. Couple that with AC during the summer and it's almost painfully slow.

EA81 power steering parts aren't the easiest to come by, either.

Well i dont have ac on my brat, but knowing that power steering is going to rob power us making me reconsider now... you had to grind down the ps crossmember? Everything ive read up till now has said its a direct bolt in :/

I believe you can use the EA82 rack, with some modifications to tie-rod ends. You need to drill some holes into the k-frame to make it fit in either case.

The engine side would really be getting the right mounting solution if using an EA82. But finding an EA81 PS setup would be a lot easier for this.

Little bit of info in this thread (no photos though) : http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17231&highlight=power+steering

great info!