Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thought of NGK O2 sensor for 97 Legacy Outback

I'm gettng a P0420 and thought the replace the upstreak O2 sensor which is about 5 years old. Advance is offering a rebate on NGK sensors so I thought I'd query peoples thoughts and experiences before buying. I'm inclined to go OE but it's always good to save a buck.

I'm gettng a P0420 and thought the replace the upstreak O2 sensor which is about 5 years old. Advance is offering a rebate on NGK sensors so I thought I'd query peoples thoughts and experiences before buying. I'm inclined to go OE but it's always good to save a buck.

What brand did you use 5 years ago? I don't have any suggestion for you but was curious why a 5-yr-old sensor needs replacement. I still run both factory O2 sensors on my 96 2.5 with 150K miles. No CEL.

What brand did you use 5 years ago? I don't have any suggestion for you but was curious why a 5-yr-old sensor needs replacement. I still run both factory O2 sensors on my 96 2.5 with 150K miles. No CEL.

Bosch premium. Worked great until about 10 days ago when I noticed the car running odd and then the CEL P0420 came up. I just replaced the gas tank due to the old one leaking and maybe I knocked/damaged one of the O2 sensors while doing it. It's also possible the cats are going. I have over 260,000 miles on this beast and there are a TON of welds on the exhaust pipe.