Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have 1990 Legacy I've owned since new. It started having a very rough idle so I checked the fuel injectors and found one with an open coil. I picked up a new injector thinking everything would be back to normal only to find the same issue. I ran through all the continuity checks in the service manual and everything seemed to check out. I even hooked up my old school engine scope. Cylinders 1 and 3 looked as expected but 2 and 4 didn't look right. As it took some time to remember how to run the scope the car had idled for maybe 10 min. Even with the shop door open and a fan running I could smell gas so I shut it off only to find a good sized puddle of gas had come out of the exhaust pipe. One of the other tests I did was to pull the injector plugs off one at a time with the engine running and found that disconnecting injector 2 and 4 didn't make the problem worse. Well after cleaning up the mess I tried one more thing thinking it must be I had no spark on those two cylinders. I pulled the wire off the #2 plug and hooked it to another plug sitting on the engine. When I fired the engine I had spark. At this point I haven't tried it on # 4 but I have run out of ideas. Anyone out there had the same problem.   

Edited by rwoerz

Sounds like you have a large fuel leak.

Was the injector hard to push in?  The o-rings make them a very firm seat.  

Find out where all the extra fuel is coming from and correct that first.

You might also want to change the oil and filter is the oil has fuel in it.

Like I said raw fuel is being blown out of the tail pipe so it has to be coming from the fuel injectors. All fluids and filters were changed about a month ago not that it would matter and it had the rough idle then. The injectors were difficult to take out and put back in even the new one. As the injector caps screwed down tight without any problem I'm sure the injectors are seated properly.

I'm thinking of going to my local pull and save to get the 3 pin connectors that the coil pack plugs into and whatever connector I need to access the the injector wiring so I can make up some test harnesses. Subaru doesn't make it easy to access the wiring. If I could get to the wiring I could watch everything with an oscilloscope and get a much better idea what's going on.

I was hoping someone on the forum had run into this problem before. 

Edited by rwoerz