Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Scratching my head...

I have a 1984 Subaru GL with a 5 speed. A few days ago I was going down the highway at 55, approaching a slight incline, when I gave it some throttle to maintain my speed the car started to shake. Felt like a wheel was about to fall off. My immediate thought was that one of my front axles was about to go, seeing as how the boots have been torn for some time now. So I take the car home and put new axles in the front, as well as replace the lower ball joints with new ones while I was at it. Took the car for a test drive and the wobble, or vibration is still there. Speed and engine rpm does not affect it, and it is only when the engine is under a load. My next thought was to eliminate the possibility of having issues in the rear end. Even though virtually no torque is applied to the rear end in two wheel drive as I understand it. Anyhow, I removed the rear driveline and test drove again, the problem is still there. Tires are practically new, less than 3000 miles and they are balanced and properly inflated, bearings feel good with no play, tie rod ends are in good shape. The only other thing I can think of is motor and/or tranny mounts, all of which I have ordered this morning. I am posting this thinking maybe I have overlooked something..

Thanks.

I replaced the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel in 2012 when I did the 5 speed conversion, about 13,000 miles ago, and I can't say I'm feeling the shake in any one part of the car, like the steering wheel, or the gear shifter, it's the whole car. I did check bushings on the sway bar while I was under there yesterday, and nothing looked or felt abnormal. No missing nuts or bolts that I could find either. As for the control arms, I was handling those quite a bit when changing out the lower ball joints, I didn't notice any play that seemed abnormal.

Alignment? My first thouugh was bearings, but sounds like you already covered that. Maybe inner tie rods???

I've never had the alignment done in that car. The last set of tires I went through on that car wore evenly by the time they were ready to be replaced. No indication of misalignment on the old set of tires... Not discounting that suggestion though. I will keep it in the back of my mind if the mounts don't fix the issue.

As far as the inner tie rods, I have not checked the condition of those. I will crawl under there in the morning and see what I can find.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Mine did this and it ended up being the cone washer and crush washer that goes under the axle nut. I chased this issue for almost a year before changing these out. Cheap and easy to do.

Edited by iluvdrt
  • Like 1

Maybe shaft bearings in the transmission? My red 92 Loyale wobbles the entire stick when accelerating.

Check out GLoyale's thread on the transmission:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/87305-easy-transmission-front-seal-replacement/

I hope this isn't the issue. It's not leaking any oil yet.... Nice write up by GLoyale though. I'd have a heck of a time replacing that seal without instruction. It's been 25 years since I've tore into a tranny.

My motor and tranny mounts will be here by the end of the week, will be installing first part of next week.  

Mine did this and it ended up being the cone washer and crush washer that goes under the axle nut. I chased this issue for almost a year before changing these out. Cheap and easy to do.

Amazing something so small could cause such a huge problem. Thanks for the tip..

• Like 1

Almost sounds like when my accelerator pump arm was defective on my hitachi... The thing would shake like a no tomorrow on hills... The problem could be fixed for a short while by chugging the gas pedal and getting the rpms up. Maybe you are having a similar problem? 

Other things to consider as well     a balancing wheel weight falling / flung of a wheel may account for for the sudden arrival of vibration.

also the rear drive shaft universal joints gone  can make the whole vehicle vibrate / shudder  especially at 55 mph

if the worn mount doesn't solve your problem.

Edited by subnz