Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are the valves Hydraulic or can they be adjusted ?  is it even valves?  car has 116k miles recent head gaskets and timing belt change,

i bought the car for $350 and did the work  ,  the car runs and drives great  its just noisy ,maybe the lifters or fuel injectors ?

i have video im going to try and post   thanks.

Edited by winginit

'96 2.2L would have had the hydraulic lash adjusters. They can go bad. Someone had a nice write up on here (Haynes manual also describes it) or pulling the adjuster, and something like sticking a pin in the prime hole while pumping it in a dish of clean oil. Then a bunch of gunky stuff comes out. If it holds the prime after it's usually ok I think.

Or there have been many posts saying adding Marvel Mystery Oil seemed to really help. Maybe it helps clean that junk out while the engine is running.

My '96 had one or more adjusters that I think would bleed down after the car sat, but then after running for a while they would maybe prime back up and were quiet. I'm not sure.

Being a 96, it's also possible they have the newer rocker arms with valve adjustments on them instead of hydraulic lifters. Need to pop the valve cover off and look. If the ends of the rocker arms have a 10mm nut with a threaded stud in the middle, they're adjustable.

first positively identify the noise for a forum of people who can't see, touch, drive, or smell the car. 

how positive are you it's valve related?

piston slap?  usually EJ25's but....?

timing tensioner knocking - yours should have the old style tensioner which i've never seen knock like the new style tensioners can but again they gotta fail and have a few failure modes.  pull the drivers side cover and watch it while running or put a stethoscope on the engine and see where the knocking is the loudest. 

check valves like Caboob just said - 1996 is usually hydraulic non-adjustable but a 20 year old unknown car should always be checked first - could have easily been swapped prior or a incorrect model year or bleed over with adjustable valves..etc.

if it is HLA's - try to narrow it down to a particular one (cylinder) or multiples?

on older Subaru's the oil pump can cause HLA noise...never really heard of it in EJ engines but maybe someone more well versed in them can say something about that?

if it is HLA's - try to narrow it down to a particular one (cylinder) or multiples?

on older Subaru's the oil pump can cause HLA noise...never really heard of it in EJ engines but maybe someone more well versed in them can say something about that?

i put new seal in the oil pump when i did the timing belt,  thanks

first positively identify the noise for a forum of people who can't see, touch, drive, or smell the car. 

timing tensioner knocking - yours should have the old style tensioner which i've never seen knock like the new style tensioners can but again they gotta fail and have a few failure modes.  pull the drivers side cover and watch it while running or put a stethoscope on the engine and see where the knocking is the loudest. 

check valves like Caboob just said - 1996 is usually hydraulic non-adjustable but a 20 year old unknown car should always be checked first - could have easily been swapped prior or a incorrect model year or bleed over with adjustable valves..etc.

i replaced the tensioner  along with timing belt and pulleys, head gaskets,   the engine was noisy before i did this work,   also the power steering pump bearing was shot and that made noise,  i replaced that ,  but still noisy,  i am sure its not the tensioner slapping around.

I pulled one valve cover but i dont remember if it had a set screw on the end,  i am not sure how to tell the difference between lifters, i am learning as i go,  i will try and fix what ever it turns out to be,    

the heads were flat and no smoke at start up so i didnt have the heads  rebuilt when i did the HG.  maybe i should of.

did you tighten the backing plate screws of the oil pump?  i've never seen one without a loose backing plate screw.  i'm not sure what/if any issues they can cause but can't be design for them to be loose. 

did you tighten the backing plate screws of the oil pump?  i've never seen one without a loose backing plate screw.  i'm not sure what/if any issues they can cause but can't be design for them to be loose. 

yes took it apart and threadloc and tightened back up

Sounds like a classic case of air locks in  / worn   hydraulic tappets.  My old EA82  used to do this

Do they go in and out ie noisy then quiet (that's what mine used to do  - didn't  do anything about them then  as car was old)

Or are they ?  noisy continuously?

Use a long handled large screwdriver as a stethoscope  placed on the respective 4 valve positions on top of valve covers to try and determine where the noise is coming from   or 

if you suspect its piston slap  place on top of the block and listen there too - there is a good chance there is some of this as well.

But listening to video it sounds like valve train noise IMO

Edited by subnz