Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Project Brumby (1988 Ea81) need some help

Width of the wheel - pretty much as wide as you want. From memory I have 7" wheels. I think anything over 8" might start to have clearance issues, but obviously that depends on offset. With a high positive offset it's more critical as the back of the wheel is closer to the suspension.

That's a pair, approx. in USD. You don't need them for the front, only the rear. The front uses standard EJ struts, and you modify the LCA to suit. Some people have used L-series LCA's which helps with geometry but also pushes your front axles out (so your front track is wider than your rear).

Anything between +28 and +35 offset would be my suggestion. Any higher and the wheels start to sink into the wheel-wells (like a stock Brumby), which isn't really a problem. You could run a stock EJ +48mm offset and it would drive with no issues. If you use L-series LCA's you may want a higher offset (+35 to +42 ideally).

Try your local pick-a-part for the struts or maybe Gumtree for someone local who is wrecking a suitable donor EJ vehicle. Measure the distance you need for height you are looking for - you may want to use Forester / Outback or Impreza / Liberty (I believe the perch heights are different on these). I wouldn't see them as being worth more than $100 for a pair for the struts, and another $100+ for the knuckle/rotors/calipers. Depends on how far you want to go with brakes, as these could cost you at least $300 for WRX 4-pots on the front. 

Note STi struts knuckles are wider than non-STi so you can't mix and match (you can use STI struts on non-STI knuckles but need to add a packing plate and elongate the holes, but it would be far easier to stick to one or the other). And most STi are 5x114.3 so aren't suitable...

You will need to use your existing strut top hats as the Brumby uses a 2-bolt oval design and EJ uses a 3-bolt round design. You may need to juggle with springs as the Brumby strut tower is quite narrow (I used rear springs from a Liberty as these start wide at the bottom and get smaller at the top).

To modify the LCA you need to ream it out with a suitable angle reamer (sorry, can't recall the angle).

Edited by dfoyl

• 3 weeks later...

if i get a donor vehicle what model / year range should i be aiming for that would accommodate everything i might need?

would parts from a 2000 Gen 3 Liberty Sedan work?http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/marsden/wrecking/subaru-gen-3-liberty-ej20-manual-for-wrecking-outback/1122494039 (found a very good deal for the rear trailing arm assemblies with the calipers, rotors, etc and The front hub assemblies with the knuckles, calipers, rotors, etc) = quick response would be extremely helpful so i dont miss out if they are what i need.

also does anyone know where i might get a hold of the ea to ej adapter plate schematics, if i can find out the exact sizing and positioning it would be very possible to get one made at a factory i know the owner of.

-thanks

Edited by Lecardor

Yes, that would all be suitable. You would still need the XT6 hubs for the rear and possibly extend the handbrake cables but that's it.

The front would also be fine. 

Gearbox looks like a good deal too if you want to go down that path. The only reason I went with EA was I had a known good L-series box, but a newer EJ box is going to last longer. Negates the need for an adaptor plate. 

However, if you want the adaptor plate option I *think* I have seen a drawing on here somewhere. Otherwise you can do it the old fashioned way - see Phiz's website for details.

i already have a ea82 gearbox from an mpfi L series and while i might need an adapter plate i wont have to worry about modifying the drive shaft. and apart from that i may as well use what i have. 

he doesnt have the struts anymore sadly, what year and model struts would work well?

it seems there are mounts for auto and mounts for manual on the ej22, if my engine came from an auto but is being fitted with the ea82 manual 5spd gearbox what option would i go for  :huh:, also do i need would i need the rear mount as well as the front 2?

thanks again, Lewis

Edited by Lecardor

Lewis, sorry to be the bearer of bad news - the diff output stubs on the MPFI gearbox is 25 spline like the EJ. You need a carb box with the smaller 23 spline diff output stubs. The larger ones will not fit the standard MY drive shafts.

They can be swapped though - you need to split the box. If I did an EJ conversion on a brumby I'd go with the AWD box and swap the output stubs for this exact reason.

Manual/quit mounts it doesn't matter. You'll need to work out what will work with where you want the engine to sit. You can use EJ engine mounts which will dictate where the engine will be, or go EA mounts on the EJ plate and have two options (two mounting holes). This will then determine what happens at the rear of the box which will probably need to be custom anyway!

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

dont worry bennie, this issue has already been sussed out, when i bought the box the seller included everything i would need to modify the CV's to fit, and i have friends in auto-motives who know how to preform the modification. all is well

however i dont know if the clutch on an ea82t is different from a standard ea82, would an ea82 clutch kit work or only an ea82t clutch kit?

as for the mounts would just using the original mounts work? this is the preferred option so i dont have to go and buy new mounts

Edited by Lecardor

Having to correct diff output stubs avoids needing to build custom shafts. But I guess if you're going for the EJ brakes you be making them anyway... And having 25 spline stubs would help as you'll get one on the liberty shaft, all you'll need then is an MY shaft that matches the spline count on the ball bearing's race/cage.

Cheers

Bennie

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...