Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Your Best Guess On Value

I'd like to hear what you think a stock Subaru like this would be worth, if one could be found.

1986 Loyale GL wagon

5-spd. 4WD

AC, luggage racks

totally straight body with no rust

no dents other than a few parking lot dings

very clean original interior

original paint in very good shape

electric windows working

door & hatch looks working

in great running condition, capable of driving cross country

What do you think?

Around here, that is a very rare thing. A couple of years ago, I paid 3k for a 93 and had it shipped across the country. When I posted that I was looking for a rust free 4wd wagon, only 1 or 2 were mentioned. More recently, I've seen a thread or 2 where these models must be a lot more common, since prices under 2k were being discussed. I was it certain of the rust condition of those cars however.

I would expect to do some mechanical repairs regardless, on a car this age. For me, I'd rather do that than bodywork, so I'll pay for rust free # 1 priority.

I never see a nice one. Or if it looks pretty well taken care of (that's a rarity in itself) then it's an automatic. Or it's not 4WD. Or it's nasty on the interior. Or the paint has oxidized.

I can never find one on CL, not even searching other large cities across the U.S. I think they are pretty rare anymore. 

Yes, $3K-ish is what I was thinking as well.

Thank for the input.

What Flow said.  How many miles are on it?

was replaced with a crate one from Japan in 2000 or 2001. After that it was no longer driven as a daily commuter car, but only around a small town occasionally. The engine was replaced but not because it was bad, but rather to make the car last for a long, long time.

10 years ago when I used to fix up GL's I woulda sold something like that for $1200-$1500.

10 years ago they were more plentiful. Now most of them have been Frankensubed....errr, radically altered, and barely recognizable any longer. Unaltered, stock, straight and clean is worth more. 

I don't know if one that has been Frankensubed has any kind of value as far as vintage car insurance goes.

Edited by Subarule