Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leaking rusty fuel line at rear passengers side wheel

1999 EJ22 Legacy wagon - the hard fuel lines by the REAR drivers side wheel that come off the top of the fuel tank are rusty right where the hose attached - but just 1-3 inches, after that they appear fine going up and bending around the gas tank - no rust at all. 

This is mainly an issue of access - I can't slide the hose far enough up that metal line to clean metal due to limited space and the bending hard line - multiple attempts and the fuel is still squirting out the top of the hose at the clamp.

Options: 

1.  install 3/8" hose instead of 5/16" hose and hope it's easier to snake up in there. 

I test fit and it seems close enough to 5/16" that the clamp is going to easily secure it.

*** Anyone ever use larger hose like that?

2.  Run hose all the way from the fuel pump and bypass that metal line altogether.  Easy but i don't like the thought of the fuel line just sitting up there.

3.  Cut all the rusty ends off and try like ()!*%*% to get that 5/16" hose up in that small area.

This is probably the best option as I don't see any rust up there and maybe sliding it over that first 3" of rusty hose is just too problematic - get that out of the way and maybe it'll ride up to clean non-rusty hose?

Maybe i'll try this first and resort to option 2 if I can't seat the hose. 

*** How do I cut a metal line in a hard to reach place - I don't even think my small die grinder will fit up there...maybe....

here's what they look like - they snake between the tank and right against the body/chassis or something, with little access.

the rust is maybe an inch past the first bend close to the hose - after that the hose is clean metal. 

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachments/problems-maintenance/14011d1230490505-fuel-line-replacement-tank-0111.jpg

for me, it would be whichever is the "easiest & fastest to complete" option - most likely running new hose all the way to the fuel pump fittings... 

I would use a snake from the secondary access & down, attach the new line, and fish it back up, then fish it across to the fuel pump. Once you have it in place, use some zip ties to attach the new hose to the old hard lines where ever you can reach to keep it from flopping around and rubbing through.

Seems to me I did something along those lines with my 1990 Lego...been a while and the memory isn't as good as it used to be.  :wacko: 

Thanks fairtax I picked up Napa hose today.

Going from passenger side pump cover to drivers side is not immediately working. Not much room and those lines snake everywhere.

With some effort maybe it'll go. Anyone done it and gotten one hose through?

From drivers side down to underneath is cake, wide open.

I got it through. It would be hard to get two or three through I think.

Coat hanger first then attached it to fish wire from a TriBeCa hitch which I threaded into the ID of the hose. It stopped twice and I had to back and forth multiple ways to get it past those problem areas.

The drivers side needs to go up and over something shortly under the lip of the access hole, make sure it goes up and over to start.

• Like 1