Ultimate Subaru Message Board

questions after a 2000 mile trip

I just returned from a 2000 mile trip moving my daughter ack from college. Not real happy with the car, I have some questions 

1. Will this car run 80-90 MPH in 100F heat with the ac on and a load? Mine will not. am I expecting too much for this 1999 2.5? I was in the mountains of utah and idaho. the temp gauge got way up a couple of times, but I did not overheat the car

2.when the car temp gets a little over mid temp the AC shuts off, is this normal? or is there something that is wrong with the AC, it turns back on when the temp drops again, and blows cold. 

3. I used about 1/2 ot the overflow bottle of coolant, and 1 quart of 10w40 motor oil on this trip. The oil I think is ok, the coolant concerns me, could this be related to the heating problem?

There is now a small sound coming from the exhaust, So maybe a valve issue now?

I got the car for 500, I have put about 1K into it including tires, It has a salvaged title which does not other me as I usually drive cars until they die, but this is my first ever subaru. Is it worth fixing the rest of the way? and what am I possibly looking at to do that? 

Thanks

Doug