Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Might buy a 96 legacy for my sister. What to look for?

A few ppl have mentioned that I do the timing belt but it was done in 2011 with 122k on it.

Why would I do it again? 

If the answer is piece of mind that Is perfectly acceptable, Just curious. 

Do you trust the work that shop did?

Um, yeah... I wouldnt trust anything that shop did from the list posted...

Get a FULL timing kit with pulleys, water pump, tensioner, seals - everything. Get it installed properly and have peace of mind that it was done right.

I also do full timing jobs on any "new to us" Subaru's that have the belts (the H6 the other half drives has chain, no maintenance to speak of) just for the peace of mind it brings. Records or not, there is no guarantee that the job was done right - or at all for that matter...

A few ppl have mentioned that I do the timing belt but it was done in 2011 with 122k on it

For that year you are supposed to change the timing belt at 60K intervals.  So for that and other reasons, do a complete change.  The you tube videos diy's are just great. 

It's a little strange that they changed the water pump twice at different times then the timing belt.  There must have been a leak?  So you need to change it anyway to hopefully stop the coolant lose.  Use an aisin pump.