Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission mount replacement- which part to choose?

The local tranny shop informed me that the trans mount is going and should be replaced "soon" but they didn't try to force me into it. It's a job I can definitely do myself and feel comfortable with. Does anyone have a suggestion for which mount to get? I'd prefer to get a really high quality part and not cheap out. Your suggestions are appreciated.

97 Legacy Outback

I've seen both auto and manual mounts fail. Somewhere through the 90s Subaru redesigned the auto mounts to have a stud from the part that bolts to the trans that attaches to the crossmember. Earlier mounts would let the transmission smack the tunnel when reversing.

• Like 1

I am working on the transmission in my  98 OBW as we speak.  The mount was shot.  The rubber was torn from the metal bracket.  I live in PA lots of salt on the roads down here.  I purchased one off eBay for $20 came in a nice package and appears to be quality.

• Like 1

Auto or manual?

Honestly, I've never seen one go bad.

The factory mounts are a little soft, but they last pretty much forever.

It's for my AT 4EAT on this old 97 Legacy Outback.

Forever seems to be about 20 years.

I'm a bit shocked at the price differences between Advance and Amazon for the same exact parts

Anchor Transmission Mount 9563 $48.51 on Amazon, $83.99 at Advance

Anchor Transmission Mount 9074 $23.66 on Amazon, $102.99 at Advance

Beck Arnley 104-1528 $51.78 on Amazon, $95.99 at Advance

Prices are literally half on Amazon of what they are at Advance. I don't know what to make of this. Someone said the Beck Arnley is likely the OE part resold through Advance. Can anyone confirm?

Edited by bstone

prices at Amazon will fluctuate - I sometimes use camelcamelcamel to set 'alerts' and it will also show the 'history' of prices. It won't work for items with low sales it seems.

Beck-Arnley generally makes good stuff i think.

prices at RockAuto seem to range from $29 to $45, you can almost always find a 5% off coupon for them, try to combine items from the same warehouse or shipping can be crazy.

For first time users, Advance offers $40 coupons at their website I think?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

The local tranny shop informed me that the trans mount is going and should be replaced "soon" but they didn't try to force me into it. It's a job I can definitely do myself and feel comfortable with. Does anyone have a suggestion for which mount to get? I'd prefer to get a really high quality part and not cheap out. Your suggestions are appreciated.

97 Legacy Outback

curious,

How did the car drive with the bad mount? I feel like it would have Alot of vibration at idle? 

prices at Amazon will fluctuate - I sometimes use camelcamelcamel to set 'alerts' and it will also show the 'history' of prices. It won't work for items with low sales it seems.

Beck-Arnley generally makes good stuff i think.

prices at RockAuto seem to range from $29 to $45, you can almost always find a 5% off coupon for them, try to combine items from the same warehouse or shipping can be crazy.

For first time users, Advance offers $40 coupons at their website I think?

There are fluctuations and then there's this maddness. I'm a long time Advance customer with many credits and gift cards which I have to use or lose which is why I am asking about the stock at Advance.

curious,

How did the car drive with the bad mount? I feel like it would have Alot of vibration at idle? 

Definitely vibration but also a CLANK when I shift from park to drive. Also feels some hard shifting and the trans shop says this is due to the drive shaft not being aligned as it should.

• Like 1

You can get an OE subaru trans mount for less than that from a dealer. 

https://www.subarupartsforyou.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=41022AC220

Is the OE any better or worse than Anchor or Beck Arnley?

No doubt. My problem is all of these Advance gift cards i am sitting on that will expire so I want to make sure I get the best that Advance offers. Maybe I'll try to price match them on their 800 number but I doubt it.

last time I needed to get something from a local parts store - I discovered 2 of my O'reilly gift cards had expired so, I understand wanting to use them.

But, think about buying something at Advance that you wouldn't get from an on-line store. what?, well, in my case, it was a battery.

I went ahead and went with the Eagle part for 19.98 from Amazon. I was able to use my Chase Freedom card rewards points and so I got it for free, including free shipping. I also had enough points for a NGK wire set.

Advance lets you use rebate cards for oil which none of their coupons work for so I'll just buy a bunch of nice oil and keep it for oil changes.

• Like 1