Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WANTED R160 clsd for Subaru RX

Hi

I am looking for an r160 clsd for my Subaru RX

Diff needs to be an early model bolt in one and not the later model r160 diff with circlip retained stubbs

I am located in Adelaide, South Australia. So if someone has one local would be great otherwise I am happy to pay extra for freight if needed.

Also are the ratios for these older style r160 diffs 3.9:1 or 4.1:1?

The ones out a rx were only 3.7. If you were extremely lucky you could of gotten a 3.9 lsd in a xt6 or put one in at dealer back in day or even ordered it from the factory. I don't see why the retained stubbs would matter since they would come with the diff you are buying. All the bolt in stubs i've seen are on open or welded diffs.

You're better off doing what I just did. The factory LSD is unobtainium.

Get a Liberty RS turbo or WRX rear diff (if you get the WRX version, get the snap in stub axles from a series 1 Liberty, 89-93) as they fit in directly.

Pull apart both diffs and swap your crown wheel onto the later centre (you'll need to grind a bit off to make it clear the case during installation, but it's nothing structural). Bolt back together in your original case

www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/99881-what-have-you-done-to-your-soobie-lately-please-post-in-here-and-keep-it-going/page-284#entry1325440

dunno if that link will work, but it's post #7098 on page 284 of the What have you done to your soobie lately thread.

I picked up my series 1 Legacy LSD for only $150.

Edited by wagonist

Wagonist would this be doable in my ea81 4 wheel drive diff?

Yes. I did it then i swapped it out for a clsd since they are better off road than a vlsd. All the r160's are pretty much the same from the 70's into 2000's besides the stubs changing into a axle pop in style and different gear ratios. Even the datsun r160 is the same thing just has different stubs and gear ratios.

Yeah, but by the time you pay for freight from NZ (unless you could convince the seller to dismantle it & just send the LSD centre, but even then still heavy) you'd be better off with my suggestion.

Tried Subareck? In the process of moving yards currently.