Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ABS unit runs when car is turned off

This is my first time on any forum page so not sure what I'm doing.  

I have a 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon and late last night when I turned off the car the ABS unit continued to run and the ABS light is on.  I'm out of town and will have it to a mechanic tomorrow.  Until then I have to disconnect the battery cable to stop the unit from running.  I was told there is a fuse I can pull but pulling fuses 18 and 19 on the inside fuse panel did nothing to stop the unit.  Inside the drivers side door on the side of the dash is a small access door that says

Subaru LH

SAE  ABS,

There is a brass colored screw behind that panel.  What is that for?  I would like to be able to turn the car off and not disconnect the battery everytime.

Welcome ;)

There is a service bulletin or TSB about this from Subaru. The ABS relay may be stuck on. I think it is mounted behind the headlight near the ABS motor. Try tapping on that relay with the ABS pump still running and see if it turns off. You might be able to get by with replacing just the relay although I think it is recommended to replace the entire ABS pump assembly.

Good Luck

Edited by Crazyeights

I had the same issue. I seem to recall I unplugged the ABS pump under the hood from the wiring harness. And the brakes worked fine without ABS functionality.

I think there is at least one ABS fuse under the hood as well.

Yes it might be a relay, or the whole pump. But who knows for sure. It might be some corrosion on electrical connections or inside of the old relay too. maybe the ABS unit

is sticking internally, and or some air got into it's hydraulics. I ran for years with the unit disconnected. My car had too many miles and was too old to warrant repairing or replacing the ABS pump unit, or even to spend time diagnosing the ABS system.