Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi there. My question regards the front brake caliper on a '97 Legacy L sedan. On the caliper there are two 'guide pins", an upper and a lower. Now the

FSM shows a difference between the two, but only listed as guide pin (Green) for the upper and guide pin (Yellow) for the lower. Now I can't find any color coding on the pins although one has a small sleeve on the inner end, while the other pin doesn't. Logic says the sleeve would go on the upper pin, the one the pad support pivots on, put I want to make sure. Can anyone clarify which guide pin goes where. Again, one is solid and the other has a small rubberish sleeve on it.

Thanks for the input.

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Now my problem is this, one side was one way and the other was reversed, which is why I have the question (oh and the rears are different!). Again, in the FSM (I incorrectly quoted it in the first post). The top pin is listed as "Guide pin (Green) and the lower is listed as "Lock pin (Yellow). With that, I just need to know is the guide pin has the rubber bushing (sleeve) at the interior end or is that the lock pin. Shawn, you mentioned the one with the bushing should be on the bottom (the lock pin). You have so much detail, I will go with that. Now I did stop into the local Suby dealer and they said, "it doesn't matter. you can use either in both positions!". If so, why would they make two different parts?

Thanks again.