Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

A new problem has arisen from my '09 impreza with the ej25 n/a mated to the 5mt.

When going through the gears I noticed a little noise last week and now it cannot be ignored....

The noise cannot be missed while in second gear. It's a banging sound that stays in tune with the engine rpm but mostly while accelerating with the clutch fully engaged. It's barely noticeable in the other gears and seems to be silent in reverse and possibly not affecting 5th gear yet. From inside the car I thought at first it was rod know but it is definitely not coming from the engine.

I've narrowed it to either the clutch or something on the input side of the transmission. It's not the cv axles or driveshaft due to how the sound follows the engine rpm. It's a loud banging sound that's non existent while deceleration in gear, loud while accelerating, and almost gone but still audible while cruising.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Can't hear anything in neutral with the clutch engaged or disengaged, revved up or at idle.

There is a little vibration if I get up a little past normal highway speeds. It's been on and off like that this spring and summer. No problems shifting gears.

185,000km on the car and about 10,000km on the clutch. I replaced it when I changed the headgaskets.

I'll check on the bucking/jerking in a tight turn but I didn't notice anything when I did a u turn last night.

It doesn't seem to be affected by turning at all though. 2nd gear is by far the loudest for making the noise that sounds similar to a rod knocking. Very slight in 1st, 3rd, and 4th. Can't hear anything in 5th.

This sound only presented itself 1 week ago.

you could pull the drain plug and inspect the magnet - 1/4 to maybe 1/2(?) teaspoon of sludeg is probably OK - chunks would be very bad.

I have heard of a clutch losing one of those little springs before that made some racket - but I don't see how that would be gear-specific or 'in sync' with engine rpm.

seems like some kind of input shaft issue?

I'm thinking it may be input shafts related but originated wity something from the second gear.

I removed the flywheel to have it resurfaced and torqued the bolts to somewhere around 58 ft/lbs, and 12ft/lbs for the clutch. I've done that part a few times but I'm pretty sure it's not originating from the clutch only because of how specific it is with the gear selection.

I'm preparing to drop the transmission out, but first thing tomorrow I'm going to head to a transmission shop and see what they think first.

Well, I don't like to leave an open ended topic so here we go. Took my car to a shop today. They say it's a bearing causing problems. I did like to hear that they say subarus have top notch transmissions but followed that with the fact that I should just go to a parts recycling depot for a good used transmission. Likely my second gear has pitting and some of the other gears. If they replaced the bearings the gears may still not mesh as if they were new again...

So that's that, It's not worth fixing unless I figure out how to rebuild it myself....I sense another project.

Kinda early for a mainshaft bearing failure, but that's a common problem on these transmissions. 

Sounds kinda like this. http://vid145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/CadiLLacPimPin97/Car%20Videos/transnoiseCE.mp4

Used trans would be the best way. These are way difficult to rebuild and the cost is astronomical. 

Edited by Fairtax4me

That's because the pickup sensor was mounted on the side of the trans directly next to the bearing. There was a bit of a whir sound coming from the trans in neutral, but not much. It wasn't very noticeable from inside the car.

The real noise was most obvious once it was in gear and moving. A metallic knocking similar to a bad rod bearing. 

Thanks for the help. I just put in a used transmission from lkq. I had 186,000 km on the car when it started to make the noise. I am actually still working on the swap now, 2/3's done since I've decided to do some control arm bushings and other little things....

Just for fun I checked the drain plug again...totally full of larger sized chips of metal...once I saw that it put my troubleshooting mind at ease.

Lkq is great, first time dealing with them.

My transmission sounded a lot like rod knock like you're talking about. Just barely starting to make noise in neutral, second gear was getting really bad though.

Thanks again for the help.

Thanks for the help. I just put in a used transmission from lkq. I had 186,000 km on the car when it started to make the noise. I am actually still working on the swap now, 2/3's done since I've decided to do some control arm bushings and other little things....

Just for fun I checked the drain plug again...totally full of larger sized chips of metal...once I saw that it put my troubleshooting mind at ease.

Lkq is great, first time dealing with them.

My transmission sounded a lot like rod knock like you're talking about. Just barely starting to make noise in neutral, second gear was getting really bad though.

Thanks again for the help.