Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys, I'm new here! Haha it looks like a lot of you know what you're talking about, so here's my question. I have a '95 Impreza 1.8 AT with 180k miles and when it gets cold here(30F and down) it's really hard to start. When it's warm outside it starts right up. When it's cold it will crank for a long time and not even seem like it's ever going to start. If I turn the key to ON a few times to "prime" the pump it seems like it helps but it's still hard to start. I figured I would ask this now so I can maybe fix it before winter. Here's a list of things that are new due to routine maitenence and replacement: fuel filter, starter, new heavy duty battery, plugs and wires, 5w30 synthetic, coolant temp sensor(being told that would help) and an added engine heater . I've done some research and it has brought me down to the MAF, O2, and cam sensors. What am should I check? I've seen videos of subies starting up no problem in -0 temps! Haha can you guys help me?

some Imprezas (but I think newer models than yours ???)  will leak fuel at cold temps - ever see/smell fuel on top of the engine around fuel lines?

maybe try tightening/replacing fuel hose clamps.

Also, a 95 could have bad plug wires, even if it's the second set! - maybe moisture on cool mornings is shorting high voltage ?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I thought I might try cleaning the MAF. Haha yes good idea. I haven't ever noticed any fuel around inside or out, but I'll keep my eye out. Does it sound like something a failing can sensor could do? Even on autozone it's says a failing cam sensor may cause hard starts, but I thought it would be all the time. Haha I know it's August, but it'd be nice to figure something out before winter rolls around. It's Idaho so.... That could be tomorrow. :P thanks!

Does it only happen in sub-freezing temperatures?

There was a TSB on 95 and earlier model ej18 and ej22 IIRC about the tips of the injectors icing in cold weather and blocking fuel flow or disturbing the spray pattern. The fix was to replace the injectors with a new style.

Nevermind the cam sensor, I tested it and it works great. I have heard that. It still does it in above freezing temps, it's just easier to start. The colder it gets, the harder it is to start. Depending on how cold, it can still be somewhat difficult to start it even with the heater on. Oh and the plugs and wires... We checked for shorts and problems but they're good. It's seems like cool summer mornings don't really phase it as much, it's mostly when it's like late fall and winter as it gets more frigid. I'm not sure if that helps at all, but that's my analysis haha.

Edited by SuBarent
  • Like 1

Alright so I checked the O2 sensor with the multimeter and the resistance was about 6.5 ohms and the voltage was like .5 or .05 or something. I have some MAF cleaner and intake cleaner(a 2 in 1 for $10) coming. Haha even if cleaning it doesn't help, it's always good to do. About the injectors, where can I get the new style? Can any newer injectors fit in the older cars? Also, does anyone know what the component is, that sits atop the intake man fold on the opposite side of the brake vacuum cylinder hose? It has two small hoses... One runs to the intake pipe, and the other goes into the manifold by the coil. Thank you guys again!

Edited by SuBarent

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem a few years ago on a 93 Liberty (Legacy) Wagon 2.2. Mechanic diagnosed it as dead temp sensor, the 2 wire sensor, and replaced.

Everything was fine for a few days and the problem reoccurred. I had a close look and mechanic hadn't fully pushed the connector onto the temp sensor. I made sure that the connector was seated properly and it's been fine ever since. Check for loose or damaged connector / wiring to the temp sensor.

Even in mild Sydney, (Australia),winters at 10 degrees C - about 50F, the car would nearly drain the battery when cranking over with bad / disconnected temp sensor. If the motor did fire I couldn't apply any accelerator for about a minute or so until the motor started to warm up. When warm, of course, the motor ran sweetly.