Ultimate Subaru Message Board

There is no tension on my interior hood release cable.  Does anyone have any clue how to manually open the hood?  I searched online but each car's hood release is different.  I can get a screwdriver up into the general area of what looks like the release mechanism, but I'm lost on what I need to pull or press.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Is the cable still attached to the release lever inside?

I've seen a few cars where the release breaks and the cable isn't attached anymore.

Have also seen the cable sheath pop loose from the bracket that holds it just behind the lever. If the sheath moves with the cable it won't pull the other end.

krisdb,

Likely the cable has broken at the latch, perhaps not.

Your Legacy has a similar front end as my 2012 OBW.

Get down low in front of the grill, and look through the top grill opening, just to the right of the subie emblem. You'll see the right side of the latch assembly, and on its extreme right side a 3 inch long curved metal shield that slants upwards towards the right. That shield covers the release cable to the latch assembly, to prevent thieves yanking on it to open the hood. Right behind it is the cable.

If you sit on the ground and put your arm through the opening below where a front licence plate would be attached to the front bumper, you should be able reach through and up and grasp the cable.

If its not broken at the latch, you may be able to grasp the inner cable with pliers and unlock the latch. If not, you should be able to put a light and a mirror through the opening where you had your arm, aim it straight up, and see where the end of the inner cable would be attached to the latch. If you can hook that attachment point witha heavy mechanics wire, you may be able to unlock it.

Barring that, as a last resort, I'd get a used grill from a wrecking yard, and cut your grill out of the front of the car to accomplish the same thing, and then just replace the grill. Good Luck!

• Like 1

Grab the hood and pull up on it? Maybe the latch has already opened but the hood didn't push up.

Or have someone else pull the release while you pull up on the hood.

If the cable were broken you would have yanked it out of the sheath with the pliers.

Edited by Fairtax4me