Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Legacy drive train problem. Like going over a cattle crossing grate from a stop

I've got a 2001 Legacy wagon.  Automatic.  For some time, a random "ping" sound would happen from under the floor boards when shifting into reverse or when starting to back up and sometimes when starting forward from a stop.  Now, not every time, but often, when starting forward from a dead stop, there is a clunking felt under the center of the car as if we are going over a cattle crossing grate for a second.  Doesn't last and the car handles fine once moving.  The rapid clunking definitely not coming from the front or rear.

I used to be on this site all the time with my old GL-10 and Brat, but not recently since I got the '01. Hope you guys can steer me in the right direction. 

Thanks.

Keith

Sorry for the double post.  Not sure what happened.

Edited by spideyz

U-joint on the driveshaft.

There's another thread right now about the same thing except his has already broken. Yours is on its way and it doesn't end well. It could break the yoke, or it could rip the whole tail housing off of the trans. Don't drive it until you replace the driveshaft.

Check the transmission mount. It's not uncommon for the center stud to get bent (usually from a bad ujoint) and make some funny noises when things get loaded up.

But yea, get your driveshaft out, and move those joints around to check for binding or play.