Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 gl10 with A/C & Fan motor issues

My heater fan quit functioning simultaneously with my A/C compressor, when I turned the engine off.  Now, neither will turn on again.  In the past, the heater fan occasionally stopped working, but then it eventually comes back.  I have check the fuses and fusible links.  I have changed out the heater fan switch, the interior heater fan itself, and the pulser amplifier.  There is suction in my dash mounted control unit with 5 buttons.      From the manuals, my remaining options are "the mode actuator", "the mode control unit" and the "A/C max unit", non of which do I know where to find or what they look like.  Does anybody have any previous experience in solving this issue, and could you please point out where I might find the most likely culprit that is screwing up my ventilation system.

Edited by scoobiedubie
  • Like 1

I've got a 1989 GL 5-speed dual manual trans w/ 230,000 miles. The car is new to me and it's got the same symptoms: no AC click engaging the clutch, no interior fan speed 1,2,3,4. nothing. no bad fuses. no heat or cool.

• Like 1

Haven't seen any of the "Guru's" on here in a while.

I believe, that the mode control unit and mode actuator are the complete push-button assembly on the dash. It's two units, screwed together.

Had issue with my '88 where it wouldn't change modes unless I left the control unit loose in the dash. Found the vacuum part of the control to be broken in a few places. Swapped in another control, all is good.

No ideas on why your blower fan doesn't work. Not real knowledgeable on EA82 systems.

Get a scan of the fsm schematics. Troubleshoot the heater fan with that and a voltmeter / test light.

I never had a GL10 so no easy guesses for me. Also have not had many heater fan or ac problems, other than the lowest speed failinf, or a freon leak.

On the heater blower motor, try hooking it directly up to 12v to see if the motor actually works.     Also, if I recall correctly, I believe there is an inline fuse before the blower motor (somewhere up-under the passenger floor).

I have had several resistor packs go bad... but they always seem to work on High (4)  ie., no resistance.  However, I'm sure it is possible for the entire pack to go bad.

Sorry, no help on AC... I don't have it, and thankfully, don't need it on the breezy coast. 

• 2 weeks later...

If everything A/C related, fails at the same time and you are Sure that the system is completely Charged; then check the Relays, they usually fail after more than fifteen years. Here's all the info regarding the EA82 Relays that you might need, it cover the A/C ones:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/87523-how-to-swap-the-old-roundie-relays-with-standard-bosch-relays/

Kind Regards.