Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all,

I have my 1995 legacy L sedan that I lifted using a set of 1" Subtle Solution spacers on top of a set of 1997 outback struts. After putting my new tires and wheels on, it has a nice aggressive look.

However, besides my 20yr old CVs finally giving out after the added stress, my main issue is with ride stiffness.

I've assumed that's because the a-arms and trailing arms now sit at a more dramatic angle while at resting height.

Besides lowering those mounts, I need some advice on if I should do. Any comments or ideas would be hugely helpful.

Thanks

I've noticed a bit more of a stiffer ride in my 97 sedan with 99 Outback wagon suspension. I do not have the 1" spacers. I think the stiffness comes from the suspension being made for a car that is a bit heaver. I have nothing to back that up just something that I have in my head.

I've noticed a bit more of a stiffer ride in my 97 sedan with 99 Outback wagon suspension. I do not have the 1" spacers. I think the stiffness comes from the suspension being made for a car that is a bit heaver. I have nothing to back that up just something that I have in my head.

That makes sense. Between that and they're new struts. Do you think that adjusting the suspension geometry would make any difference?

With the OBS suspension and the 1" lift the control arms are at a steeper angle this in effect increases the relative suspension stiffness because more the force from the road is transferred into the chassis instead of being absorbed into the suspension.To fix it you would have to put slightly softer springs on relating to the cosine or sine of the control arm angle change to find out the new effective spring rate,and soften the springs by that much.

So MATH BLAH BLAH BLAH Angle Stiff suspension BLAH BLAH BLAH.Drive down some dirt roads or jump it to soften the springs up.