Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which fuel hose is this? (93 Turbo Legacy)

Hey everyone,

I have a very cracked fuel hose on my '93 Turbo Legacy. Its to the point where fuel GUSHES out of it when the car is running, so it needs replacing ASAP.

However, I don't exactly how to describe it to the parts guy at the dealership. Can anyone explain to me exactly what hose this is?

Any tricks to replacing it? Is fuel going to come pouring out when I disconnect the old one?

hose.jpg

Shouldn't it be called a syphon hose? Seriously, it's the inlet hose for the filter. The other end connects to the metal line from the tank. You can buy a length of fuel hose at a parts store. The inner diameter is probably 8 mm or 5/16" (a set of open-end wrenches can be used to gauge the diameter of the fittings on the filter). The filter seems to be missing a rubber collar underneath the bracket.

So fuel hose is flexible enough that I can just buy a length of it and bend it in to shape? I was under the impression that I needed a special fitted one, but I guess this makes much more sense.

What about any tips for replacing it? Just do it in a hurry so I dont lose too much fuel?

damn I just bought this part a lil while ago, if I find the part number I'll post it but if you go to teh parts department just ask them for the rubber fuel hose that leads to the filter. Hopefully you'll get someone that knows what you mean or they can turn the monitor so you can see it.

there's no way you can remove te hose and replace t quick enough to not lose fuel. What you should do before you do this though is disconnect the pump connector under the carpet int he trunk, remove the filler cap, and turn the car over a couple of times until it wont start anymore. That way most of the fuel that was in the lines is already gone. There's still going to be quite a bit of fuel spiolling out. It's a bitch of a hose to replace so be prepared to spend at least a hour on it.

It didn't look to me like a molded hose when I changed the filter. Just use a long enough piece so there's enough room to put your hands where you need. The only serious "tip" is to let the exhaust cool down enough, but you have gas dripping all the time anyway. Lay a big rag, like an old shirt or someting all around the filter. Use a dab of grease to help the new hose on.

Well that was possibly the easiest repair job I have ever done.

I went to Carter Subaru to ask about hose and to see what size it was exactly. The guy gave me a 12" section of hose.

I pulled the old hose in about 30 seconds (the car was parked all day, I took the backup to work). Not a drop of fuel leaked out.

Another minute or so later, and the car was running fine. Thanks for the help guys :-)