Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello everyone,

I replaced my clutch a few months ago and all is well, except for a rattle emanating from the front right corner of the vehicle (sounds like it is just inside the wheel well, like unfastened metal lines vibrating against the inside wall of the engine compartment).  This only happens at low idle. Not coincidentally, the only piece that I could not find a spot for, was a strategically shaped piece of foam (as seen in the attached pic). It feel out of the bottom of the car when I removed the plastic protective covering to better access the transmission.

Thanks

Jon

post-61480-0-65366400-1471737832_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonnygorman

Your link does not work.

There's a problematic C: in the link, which leads nowhere.

yup that is probably just a link to the picture on his computer. If jonny clicks on it, it just might work, linking to his own file on his own computer.

My guess is he needs to upload the file to USMB 

Year? Model?

Sometimes chunks of foam are glued to the plastic splash shields to keep them from vibrating in the wind and making noise when you're driving. They fall off occasionally. That won't likely cause the other noise you have.

Sounds like the heat sheild on the exhaust pipe may be loose. They get loose on their own anyway, but especially if you've had the exhaust down off of the car they get knocked around and rattle pretty bad.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

I replaced my clutch a few months ago and all is well, except for a rattle emanating from the front right corner of the vehicle (sounds like it is just inside the wheel well, like unfastened metal lines vibrating against the inside wall of the engine compartment).  This only happens at low idle. Not coincidentally, the only piece that I could not find a spot for, was a strategically shaped piece of foam (as seen in the attached pic). It feel out of the bottom of the car when I removed the plastic protective covering to better access the transmission.

Thanks

Jon

Sorry about the link! I posted a new pic!!