Ultimate Subaru Message Board

$1.00 1996 OBS!

Flowmastered87GL

Interesting story on the car... it was bought new on the last day of 1996 by my parents back when I was in high school.  I got my drivers license in this car in 1997.  I took it on a camping trip for spring break my first year of college.  20 years later... it needs some transmission work, the power steering is leaking but the car is overall solid.  Two best parts.  I paid $1 for the car, and its a 1 owner car since my parents bought it new so it only has 097084 miles on it!!  Yes 5 digit mileage!  It has the super rare high rise center console too... the lid is cracked, but I can glue it.  

Job 1... make the car reliable.  So it gets new accessory belts first as they are cracked and making noise.

Job 2... figure out if the existing 4EAT can be salvaged or if its better off just changing it.... also look at rear hatch harness as it has issues with 3rd brake light and power hatch lock.

Job 3... oil seals and timing kit as its leaks everywhere after 20 years.

Job 4... mods!!  LIFT KIT!!!

96obs_zpspjhy21v2.jpg

96obs2_zpsl6vdibmz.jpg

96interior_zpsiakxoh8c.jpg

Edited by Flowmastered87GL

• 3 weeks later...

Bought most of my lift kit... I sourced the struts, rear trailing arm brackets, and rear sway bar and brackets from a 1997 Outback (along with 2 full size spares for my future tire size) for $200 (and that included a bunch of other parts that friends harvested such as the carpet, HVAC, control arms, knuckles, etc...)  I still need to get the rear camber bolts and strut top spacers front and rear.  Pics once its lifted... or when we reseal the engine / swap the tranny... whichever happens first.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Passed emissions, took it to get the transmission fluid changed and additive added.  Torque bind is already decreasing.  Hopefully it goes away entirely.  Here is how it looks today.  Baja turbo wheels and NASIOC plate frames are the only mods on it right now

transservice_zpsetvrvub2.jpg

Emergency oil change today.  I had been talking to my parents on the phone and I asked them about the oil change sticker that said NEXT change due at 92356 miles on 4/7/14.  Soooo the oil in the car was two months shy of being three years old!  The car currently has 97,800ish miles on it... so it means its around 8444 miles.  Needless to say I bought oil immediately and did a change today.  Hopefully this helps the MPG a bit... my last tank was 23.1 MPG.  I plan to do fuel filter and injector cleaner once I get over to a dealer.  The good news is I never saw an oil light, the oil was still within the normal range on the dipstick and I have not had any funny noises.  So hopefully I got it changed quick enough.  I plan to change this current oil right at 100K so that I can hopefully clean some of the junk out with a shorter change interval.

• 4 weeks later...

Lifted!  It is running 1997 Legacy Outback struts, rear trailing arm mounts, rear sway bar and mounts, 3/8" Anderson Design and Fabrication strut top spacers front and rear, and Kartboy STi rear end links up front (which we had to mod a bit to fit)

postlift_zpsq4cejhbc.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...